Does foxycart work with javascript turned off?

ChuckTrukkChuckTrukk Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited February 2008
My cart isnt working with javascript turned off in my browser. It redirects me to domain.foxycart.com but shows foxycart's homepage.

Is this a bug or is javascript required for foxycart to work?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Javascript is currently required. We're working on a non-js fallback.

That said, based on the feedback we've received, the FoxyCart checkout flow seems to actually result in more sales than other systems that do work without javascript. We know it's not ideal, and we're working on it, but in the meantime we believe the pros outweight the cons in this case. (After all, there's a massive difference between a one-page checkout+login with live shipping rates and error checking, and a 6 page non-javascript checkout.)
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We've gone around and around a LOT on this one... our entire checkout system currently relies on the benefits of web 2.0 and it would be a shame to go backwards... but we will eventually have a system in place that will work without javascript. If that's a priority for you, I wouldn't wait around for it though.
  • Maybe you could add a noscript tag option that includes some customizable text, such as "call us at ### to complete your order".

The tiny fraction of people who browse with JS turned off probably hate the internet because so many sites are "broken", and would welcome the opportunity to take their hands off the mouse and go back to using the phone as god intended.

(Note, first sentence was a real idea, rest of post is intentionally a snark)
    We'll be allowing language customization (including the noscript tag) at some point in the coming versions. I like the phone idea a lot. We could perhaps default that a little bit in coming versions.

I'd say "you can change that text with javascript!", but clearly that won't work ;)
  • Hi Brett and team...

I came across this forum post regarding javascript. We're currently doing some work with FoxyCart that does some big changes to the cart, via jQuery. We're running into the issue of dealing with clients with JS off and/or old browsers. We've considered the idea of capabilities-checking before allowing clients to proceed, but would like to really avoid that.

With all that being said, I'm wondering if there's functionality that I've missed in the Wiki, and/or "hidden" functions for the following:

1) Hide the cart column for changing quantities and the ability to remove line items.
    2) A customization for changing the "continue" URL from something other than the main URL given in the settings.
    3) A customization for hiding all references to "subscription" items (I know, this is a long shot, but asking anyway)

Currently, I have jQuery removing the entire quantity/remove column, and also re-writing where orders get sent to, and re-writing the subscriptions part to meet our clients needs. Users with no JS or old browsers will get completely around those mods, which will not please our client.

As I said, I understand a minimum capabilities check may just be the only option, but looking for alternatives before that.

Thanks for your time and attention.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Currently JavaScript is required to use FoxyCart. There's a request here but there aren't many votes for it yet: http://requests.foxycart.com/pages/general/suggestions/81978-no-javascript-required-checkout
    Fwiw, what I'd recommend would be to do something like set the default "add to cart" URL to a "javascript is required" page explaining how to turn JS on or etc. Then on page load look for all links or forms with class=foxycart and change the URL. I made code to do that somewhere and I'm pretty sure it's in the wiki but ...
    Oh I found it:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/faqs#redirect_to_a_custom_javascript_required_page

So that's what I'd recommend, if it helps.

You could also add classes to all subscription related items and just use jQuery to conditionally show them. (They'd have to be hidden with your CSS by default, since you can't rely on js to hide stuff if js is disabled to begin with.)

Does that help a little?