The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Cancelling a subscription without "checking out"

blockablocka Member
in Help edited November 2009
Is it possible to cancel a subscription without going through the whole checkout process?
Comments
  • Am I missing something here?
  • I was able to hack this by checking for the presence of the "You are about to set this subscription to end" warning and "clicking" the checkout button. Is there a more "official" way to handle something like this?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi blocka.
    Sorry, Luke had a busy day yesterday and wasn't able to get through the forums. In v060 you can actually modify subs using the API, which may be very helpful.

As far as needing to actually checkout to cancel the subscription, there are a few reasons for that (even though it might not be the best solution; we're always open to feedback). First, if there's a past due, the customer will need to pay that prior to cancellation. You can cancel it manually if you'd like from the admin, but the default behavior is to attempt to collect past due amounts, which requires a checkout.

Second, the checkout is where the authentication happens. While we could assume that if a customer has the sub_token and the cancellation link they have power to cancel the subscription, that's not entirely secure.

Third, if we didn't use the checkout we'd need another section of UI that would require HTML/CSS and customization. That's obviously not a reason _not_ to do it, but we do try to avoid extra code where possible, and in this case it'd be one of those things that most people wouldn't even know about. So we decided to stick with the checkout at this point.

All that said though, v060 brings a lot to the table in this regard with the API. It's not documented yet, but it will be soon. If that interests you just let us know and we'll stick it on the wiki asap.
  • blockablocka Member
    edited November 2009
    Definitely interested in the API for that...
    The workflow to me does seem rather awkward. I know I can customize just about anything using jQuery and css, but its still a little awkward. An API would for sure help out, though.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Please give the 060 api a try and let us know what you think. We havent fully documented it yet, but the new api_action's available include "subscription_get" and "subscription_cancel". You just have to pass in a sub_token which can either be just the token or the full sub token url.