The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Password recovery

swensorswensor Member
in Help edited November 2009
Hey all,

Is there a way to send a customer DIRECTLY to the password recovery interface that a user reaches when they fail to login? I'm thinking something like a URL to send them to a checkout page that has options to "Email Password" etc. Any ideas?

swensor
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi Swensor.
    That's a good idea. In v060 the "email my password" link actually shows _before_ an incorrect password is entered, so that might work, yes?

Otherwise, you could append some data to the link you send out. So maybe cart=checkout&h:temp_email=test@example.com. That'd send to checkout with the temp_email value in the JSON. Then on page load on the checkout you could see if a value is set there and show/hide the fields/links to reset the password. Just a thought.

v060 I think might get you closer to what you need though.
  • Hi Brett,

So I finally got back to this piece. I can't seem to accomplish what you're saying. So If I pass in a temp_email on the original form it will populate? I've tried this as well as after the SSO redirect (appended to the URL), and neither seems to work. It just ends up on the checkout page, seemingly no different than normal. Is it supposed to pre-populate the email field? I need the easiest option to enable users to receive their password via email. Thanks!!

Swensor
    @swensor, out of curiosity, do you already know your customer's email? You could conceivably call the password email function outside of the checkout itself if you wanted. If you check the "net" tab in Firebug you'll see what it's doing, and that might be a more straightforward way for you to do what you want.

Otherwise, let me know and I'll see if we can help you get some code that does what you want.
  • Hey Brett,

I do already know the customer's email. We're doing a pretty comprehensive integration with all the shipping/billing data, how could I call the password email function? That would be awesome if I could write a script to call that and allow a user to click a link within our system. Yes prease on the code (=

swensor
    I can definitely help out after Friday (at a conference until then). In the meantime, if you want to take a look just load up the Firebug net panel and run the password email request. Copy out that URL and you should be able to build your own functionality (quick little CURL or javascript / jQuery JSON request) and stick it wherever you'd like.

Let us know how that goes, and if you need help just ping this thread after Friday.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    If the customer already exists, you can use the API to reset their password: http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs/api
  • hey guys,

ya i was able to figure it out pretty easily. good call on teh firebug request peeking, simple enough just call the url and voi-la! anywho, thanks!!

swensor