v060: PayPal Standard, Guest Checkout, Multiple Payment Options

brettbrett FoxyCart Team
in Important News edited December 2009
After a long beta period, we are happy to announce FoxyCart v060. The big features are:
- PayPal Standard / Express Checkout (finally, yes, we know)
- Guest Checkout (and a much improved guest/account checkout flow)
- Multiple payment options for a single store (so, Purchase Orders + Credit Cards + PayPal)

The pre-release discussion was here, but now that it's released please let us know about any issues on this thread.

Thanks everybody. We couldn't make FoxyCart what it is without your comments and criticisms.
Comments
  • Awesome!! I am stoked about the PayPal checkout. Seems to be functioning for me already. Thanks guys.
  • Thank you so very much! - Foxycart is helping me look like a genius to my clients

Looking forward to upgrading!
  • I'd love to see this in action, especially with the Paypal option, can someone post when they have the new version functioning on their site?

Also, which new payment gateways have now been made compatible if any? I've been waiting for Paymentech to be added!
  • so now that we have paypal express, does it support subscriptions? cause i remember that you said it did not and idk if you were able to add it
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited December 2009
    @j1nxed: No new gateways yet, but we do plan on adding more soon, and we're seeing if a new team member can take over those integrations to try to get them cranked out faster.

@itisnot_me: FoxyCart does subscriptions and recurring billing internally, and doesn't currently integrate with gateway specific recurring billing methods. Normally this is just fine, as they often cost an extra $50/mo or so just to turn on. For PayPal, there are some difficulties between synching our internal system with PayPal's recurring billing. If you'd like to see that added please create an item here:
    http://requests.foxycart.com/pages/payment_gateways

(Probably should go under the Payment Gateways request board, I think.)

This is mentioned here in the "known issues":
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:upgrading:0.6.0
  • @j1nxed ours is working at http://www.getiwrap.com if you want to take a look.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    @j1nxed: we've had quite a few stores using it live for a couple months now, so we're pretty confident with it. We (FoxyCart) have been using it ourselves as well. Yes, we eat our own dog food. :)
  • vx-adamvx-adam Member
    edited December 2009
    I just upgraded one of my client's store and I have to say the new guest/account checkout flow is great. Clearly, you put some thought into creating a easy to understand process for users. Nice work!
  • oskayoskay Member
    edited December 2009
    Looks like the USPS rate server may be down-- can't seem to get shipping to work at our store tonight. Can anyone else confirm?

Edit:
    Any workaround possible besides setting shipping to zero? Our store is effectively down. :(

Edit 2: (12/20)
    Seems to be working again today.
    FedEx disappears more often than USPS. We didn't get any notification of downtime for this. We typically recommend adding at least one other method from a different carrier just in case. Or change the store language to include your store phone or email in case nothing is returned. As we move towards improving the shipping we'll have rate caching in mind. That wouldn't eliminate the problem, but it would help a bit.
  • The timeout seems pretty long now-- which looks like our store is just broken. And, if it does return, there's nothing there.

What about using a shorter timeout, with an option to return failover flat or weight-based domestic/international rates, whenever no data is available from live shipping servers? It would solve a heck of a lot of problems. I'd really much rather give discounts on shipping than have our whole store go down. :|
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey all, just wanted to let you know we added a couple "post launch" features to 060 that we had promised to some of our clients. The "free ground shipping" and "customer pickup" custom shipping strings are now editable in the language section of the admin. Also, we added some fields to the datafeed: cc_number_masked, cc_type, cc_exp_month and cc_exp_year. Additionally, we got the Chinese language file up to date with 060. We don't think these changes should cause any problems, but please let us know if you have any concerns.
  • Nice work, by the way. :)
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Sup tookings. Hope work is treating you well. Missed you around here. :)
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Heads up: Though we normally avoid making changes to a version after it goes live, occasionally we do implement bug fixes after the release. We just made some changes to the Paypal gateway processor which should improve error messages so instead of seeing "(U) U U" if there's an API error (such as a server timeout), you should see a more detailed response. Also, we fixed some currency issues for non-standard locales that use commas instead of periods as the decimal separator.

Please let us know if you see any issues.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We just rolled out a fix to version 060 for the Authorize.net payment gateway to urlencode product option details better. Please let us know if this resolves the issue for you and/or if you run into any problems.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    FYI, we're currently testing a fix for Single Sign On used in conjunction with Paypal Express. The SSO side of things currently throws you back to the checkout page and you lose the indicator that you were trying to go from the cart directly to Paypal. Once we've tested this a bit more, we'll probably roll it out to 060. Along with this, we'll also be adding a small improvement to the checkout.js file to run the shipping rate request on page load if the address information has already been filled in.

Stay tuned.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We're still testing the SSO+Paypal Express fixes, but happened to notice another bug in 060 and we just rolled out a fix for it. Future subscriptions and $0 orders were coming through as test orders, regardless of the settings in the store. This has been fixed.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We just rolled out the fix described above for SSO+Paypal Express. Please let us know if you see any problems.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Rolled out a fix for re-feeding transactions from the admin... customer passwords were not included properly in the re-feeded XML. More details here: http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2572
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Rolled out another minor fix... added the shipto_shipping_service_description to the Datafeed XML shipto_address node. Also, the date_created and date_modified nodes in shipto_address should now be updated correctly.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Added is_test to the datafeed to indicate if the transaction was a test or live transaction. This is something one of our integration partners needs before we'll be ready with 061 so we had to move forward with it in 060. Along with that, we fixed a bug that was causing the initial transaction_date displayed in the receipt and the datafeed to be different from what was being stored in the database.
  • your updates to checkout.js broke my site...I was wondering why I haven't been getting any sales for days!

check it here: http://www.shirtfight.com/shop/judproduct/the_knuckle_collision/

I understand you guys wanting to get fixes in, but please make them as official releases. Some of us have heavily customized our sites...I had to tweak a lot of code to get v060 to work and finally did it. Now you guys put in a bunch of post-launch changes and have broken things again. Next time, please just pile them into v061 or something?

Off to dig into my code to see if I can fix things...
  • Jud, I think this relates to the fact your trying to run two versions of jquery on the same page again, much like last time (your getting the "$ is not a function" error on a few of your javascript includes again). Although I'm not sure what woul have changed that would be causing it to hiccup again.
    Hey @jud@shirtfight.com
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here, but I'll split this up into two parts.

Part 1: foxycart_includes.js
    Did you just recently upgrade to v060? If so, there's a complete changelog when you change the version in the admin, and there's a link to the upgrade notes:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:upgrading

I can almost promise you that nothing we've done post v060 has caused the problems you're experiencing with the site itself. If you take a look at the comments you'll see that the only changes have related to the XML datafeed (which wouldn't cause problems on your site display/javascript at all) or real bugs (again, serverside and in the checkout process, not related to the javascript on your end).

Check the changelog and upgrade notes though:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:upgrading
    http://www.foxycart.com/0.6.0.html

Seeing as you have jQuery 1.2.6 on your template, along with a noConflict() call, I'm guessing that perhaps you upgraded from v050 to v060? We moved to jQuery 1.3.2 in v051, and also moved away from the noConflict() at the same time. I can see when your sales stopped, but there's simply nothing that happened with FoxyCart anywhere in that timeframe that would cause the javascript issues you're seeing.

In case you're curious, the last time we changed the v060 foxycart_includes.js was 6 or 7 months ago, prior to it actually being released.

Part 2: The checkout.js
    Can you clarify what went wrong on checkout? We made a change on 2010-02-01 that fixed a bug causing shipping not to update in certain situations involving PayPal Express Checkout, SSO, or pre-population. I'm not seeing anything in your checkout that concerns itself with the shipping at all, so I doubt that'd be the issue.

Can you clarify a bit? I'm bummed that something's broken, but based on what I'm seeing it seems like there are other issues at play here, and that our v060 bug fixes haven't been the cause. Was there something else you did recently? I notice that the site design is very very different than it had been, and I know it worked in the past, so perhaps changing to an older template caused problems?
    There's also this from Foxee, which I think you're using. I don't know about what's going on on their end or how it relates, but I'd be very surprised (and very, very sorry) if we did anything that caused problems.
  • brett,

I upgraded to 60 a while back, maybe late December or Early January, and like bjbk mentioned I had an issue running two versions of jquery. He helped me with a fix and things were running smooth. Basically what I have is a script that auto submits the product to the cart when they select a size (and gives it some nicer looking buttons).

The code that gets called looks like this:
    //
    // Auto Submit product to cart on item select
    //
    $j(document).ready(function(){
    	$j(".cart input:radio").click(function(){
    		$j(this).parent().submit();
    	});
    })

</script>

Now when I upgraded to 60 it wouldn't work because it was running two versions of jquery, so bjbk sorted me out with this snippet of code which fixed it perfectly:
    <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
    var $j = jQuery.noConflict();
    </script>

I haven't changed anything since then. And yet sometime in February it's broken again.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    @jud: looking at the page you posted i'm seeing these error messages:

Error: $ is not a function
    Source File: http://www.shirtfight.com/javascript/lib.js
    Line: 1
    Error: $ is not a function
    Source File: http://www.shirtfight.com/scripts/js/jquery.image.tip.js
    Line: 21

The only javascript related change we made was a very minor one to checkout.js (which only loads on the checkout) and would not explain the errors above. On that page, I don't see an add to cart button at all... Are you sure your page hasn't changed, you didn't upgrade your javascript includes or anything like that? Did you upgrade FoxEE maybe?

Because you have javascript errors and no "add to cart" button, the javascript that submits your form isn't working:
    $j(".cart input:radio").click(function(){$j(this).parent().submit();});

I'd recommend adding a real submit button to the form for starters... and then fixing those JavaScript errors.
  • As I mentioned before, I have code that will automatically "submit" once a person hits a size...it's kind of like having a custom submit button for each size of t-shirt. This is the "popular" thing going on with t-shirt sites nowadays.

Again as I mentioned before, I have not changed anything since I first fixed it to work with v60 several weeks ago. Now you guys have made changes, and whether you believe it or not it has broken that part of my site. I don't know if the changes caused it to stop working with FoxEE, or the custom code I've done, or what...but the EXACT same errors occurred when I upgraded from 051 to 060, the EXACT same. So yes, I firmly believe that your changes have affected my product pages again.

I'll reach out to bjbk to help me fix the site...after that I think I'm going to have to migrate over to another shopping cart platform, one that I have more control over. In the meantime *please* don't make any more changes to 060, leave it for a new release.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Jud, you mentioned in your first post that our changes to checkout.js broke your site. Can you walk us through how that's possible since checkout.js is not included on your site? Also, your shirtfight store is currently on version 051, not 060. Did you downgrade it? If so, and you're still seeing errors on your site, how can our changes to 060 be the problem? We appreciate how frustrating it would be if our changes did break your site, but it's also a bit frustrating for us if it has nothing to do with our system at all.

If you choose to use another ecommerce solution we understand and wish you well. Just reply to your last receipt with a cancel request and we'll take care of that for you.