Remove "Group Total" from receipt

owlzowlz Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited December 2009
Hi,

I really appreciate the Foxycart team's dedication to looking into questions like these. I have yet another.

My client is requesting that "Group Total" not appear in the email receipt because she finds it confusing. I see from another discussion that "Group Total" is only supposed to appear when "multiple ship-to addresses" is enabled.

I am seeing it in the text that replaces ^^cart^^ in email receipts even when multiple ship-to addresses is not enabled.

Is this conditional display of "Group Total" supported in the ^^cart^^ placeholder? Or does one need to create a custom receipt with the XML datafeed to prevent inclusion of "Group Total" ?

As always, thanks for looking into this.
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @owlz.
    I guess the first question is: Does your client actually want multi-ship? If not, just turn that off and the problem will be solved. If so, let us know, as it makes things a little more "interesting".
  • owlzowlz Member
    edited December 2009
    No, they do not need multiship. If turning off multi-ship means unchecking the box "multiple ship-to addresses" in admin > store settings, then I have had if off the whole time. Is there some other place that multi-ship needs to be turned off?

I think maybe I am misunderstanding. It looks like there is a Group Total given for every item in the cart (so we can see the total price when multiples of a single item are ordered). Is that correct? Maybe this has nothing to do with multi-ship. If not, sorry for the confusion.

I probably hadn't tested enough to really see what "group total" is for. Here are the contents of my cart and the "group total" I am referring to. Even if my client finds these "group total"s confusiing it seems they probably should be left in for clarity when users order multiples of the same item.

CART:

Example product
    * Quantity: 7
    * Price: $5.00
    * Group Total: $35.00
    Donation
    * Quantity: 1
    * Price: $2.00
    * Group Total: $2.00

Subtotal: $57.00
    Shipping/Handling: $0.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Order Total: $57.00
    Oh, I'm sorry. Totally missed you on that.

That's a good question. Without the group total, would your client just like the user to do the math themselves? Currently the receipt output is the least flexible part of FoxyCart, since emails are just really beastly to format in the first place.

If it's really a huge deal for your client, you could basically re-build the receipt emails using the XML. There's a starter script on our wiki:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration
    That's kind of overkill though unless the client is super passionate about it.

Another option we're discussing internally is the idea of using a template language for advanced needs like this. Please vote for that here if you're interested.
  • Thanks, Brett. I have used the script for a super passionate client with strict formatting needs and it worked great as a starting point. He had zillions of product options that needed to be written out just-so.

In this case I'd rather not rebuild the emails for this client and because the Group Total actually is useful when multiples of the same item are ordered I'm going to lobby for leaving it in. Why make customers do math?

I do like the idea of a templating language! I will vote for it.

Thanks again!
    Ah, great then. If you've already used that custom receipt script already then that'd be the way to go if you needed to do so. I'm pretty stoked about the possibilities that a template language would allow, but that's a different discussion ;)