Free shipping

gl330kgl330k Member
in Help edited February 2008
Hi all

How do I set up free shipping? I want to have it setup for all orders for the first month the store is active. After that I would like to have free shipping on all orders over $500.

thanks
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Just use flat rate shipping and set the price to 0.

As for amount based shipping discounts, we don't currently support that but it is part of our future plans for a really flexible shipping system we'll be building. In the mean time, you could provide a discount for orders over $500.
  • gl330kgl330k Member
    Hey Luke,

Any update on how far off this feature is?

Thanks
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Unfortunately, no. The next version will have improvements to the shipping system, but it may not be the full "super ship" in all it's glory.
  • I have a client that has membership requiring no shipping, and hundreds of other products that do require shipping.

The solution: create a product category to handle this. In this case I created a new category called "membership" and selected No Shipping in the Product Delivery Options.

Then in the order form code put:

input type="hidden" name="category" value="membership"

FYI: I think in the State of California it's illegal to add shipping to Membership prices.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for posting, Meristem. Just so you know, if your cart contains items only in the category with no shipping set, the user will not get the option to specify an alternate shipping address (which makes sense if you're not shipping anything).

Do you have more information about that California law? That's very interesting as we've had many request for "recurring shippable products" which might be considered a membership by some.
  • My client would like to have free shipping for orders over $75. From what you're saying, it sounds like that's not possible. Or is it???
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Currently, it's not supported. A coupon or a discount (not related to shipping costs) would be the only thing close (unless, of course, you're doing flat rate shipping, in which case the discount could just equal the shipping cost). Please vote for what you want here: http://requests.foxycart.com/ What you're describing will probably be part of "Super Ship"
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    (Fwiw, it's doable if you're really handy with javascript, but definitely not "supported". http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=324 for some details, but as mentioned it's definitely not "supported" so we won't be able to help you figure out how to make it work.)