Donations

aruddarudd Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited February 2008
I'd like there to be a checkbox option prior to checkout named 'donate anonymously.' The users information would still be required for cc, but would not tie their information on the backend. Should be simple enough, right?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    When you say "backend", which "backend" do you mean?

You could make the checkbox force a "one-time-use" customer record (the "checkout without password" described here), but the customer info would still show in the transaction history.

Is the anonymous concern for privacy or legal reasons or something else? I don't think there'd be any way to make it truly anonymous, since there are so many parties involved in a CC transaction.
  • When I say "backend" I'm referring to any information the owner would have access to, whether receipt or transaction history.
    Basically after filling out the form for CC info (name required obviously) the owner would only see the date and amount of the transaction.
    Hmmm...
    Well you could certainly create your own transaction listing using the XML (pretty easily), and you could strip out the information there. It'd still exist in the FC admin, but you don't have to give the owner access to that.

Interesting question. What if the store owner just promises not to actually look at the transaction page in the admin?
  • You're too funny.
    "What if the store owner just promises not to actually look at the transaction page in the admin?"
    Please.
    Haha.
    Well, I'm just confused as to the need. If it's legal or ethical or something else. And is the store owner the person that'll be setting up the store or just the person maintaining it? If the owner doesn't need access to the FC admin, then you could create your own transaction history using the XML datafeed.

And where would the money be going? PayPal, Auth.net, another gateway? I'm not sure this type of anonymous functionality is available in any of those (though I could be wrong). Since there will be fees deducted from the donations, the export from the gateway or merchant account would seem to be more important to me.

Can you go into detail as to what you're trying to accomplish?
  • Sorry Brett,
    Didn't realize I was being so vague.

I, the developer will be setting up a store for the 'owner.' They are a non-profit org and would like the capability, using FoxyCart, to receive potential anonymous donations.
    The only way I see the donators remaining anonymous is to hide the info from the 'owner.'
    I'm not sure how much access they would need, but I'm thinking admin-access as I will not be doing any type of maintenance agreement.

CDG+Quantum would be the gateway as you all recommend. I guess as long as there's some type of export out of the gateway, that might work.
    Not sure what that will look like.

Thanks for your help.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Arudd. I worked for a non-profit org for 6 years which handled hundreds of thousands of transactions. We did all kinds of things from cash gifts to ACH to recurring credit/debit and as far as the actual "payment" goes, there isn't really such a thing as an anonymous payment, as far as I know. FoxyCart handles payments. It sounds like what you might be looking for is a donor management system which does your constituent receipting and reporting to your beneficiaries.

When we did anonymous gifts, it was really just the notification to the missionary being supported that was anonymous. The payment and donor system knew exactly who gave the gift because they have to send the tax deductible receipt along with charging the card or processing the debit on the bank account.

Brett's suggestion seems to make the most sense. You could use the XML datafeed with a custom field "Is Anonymous" which would manage what details the "owner" sees. The owner would not have access to the FoxyCart backend, only to a custom system you'd have to build. That would take some custom programming and an additional database system to manage it all. The strength of FoxyCart is that it will integrate with just about anything... but it also means it favors those who are comfortable building those integrations. :)

As for Brett's "promise" comment... I really hope he was joking.
  • Thanks Luke,
    This is helpful.
    I'll discuss this in further detail with the client tomorrow.
    I was half-joking. If it's a moral/ethical concern (as opposed to a legal/regulatory requirement), then curiosity is the only thing that'd get in the way.

That said, I wouldn't present that to a client ;)
    "Dear client: If you want to keep things anonymous you have to promise not to click here. Ok?"

The custom transaction listing is definitely the best option, but some things to consider are what needs to happen with the data. Does it need to be imported into Quickbooks? Etc. (CDG actually has a quickbooks export that might do what you need. It's "anonymous", but only handles the batch amounts.)