I am horribly impressed, some questions tho!

jusmeigjusmeig Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited February 2008
Firstly, I have never come across a shopping cart that was so ridiculosly quick and painless to install. I thought someone was playing a sick joke on me when I pasted in 3 lines of code and had a shoping cart ;)

Amazing work guys, you've won my vote. And now some questions...

I'm a MODx user. Regarding maintaining a database of products, foxy cart does not do this? It seems to hold the categories?

Is there a test credit card number I can use for testing? Ie I want to show my client the full purchase process.

Where would we enter our clients bank details, ie to get payment for orders etc?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Haha, thanks for the feedback.

Regarding categories and products:
    You're right that FC doesn't maintain any product database. This is to avoid duplication of data (between MODx or whatever CMS you're using and FC). FC does have categories, however, which affect how products are handled once in the cart (default weight, email notifications, tax, shipping, discounts, etc.).

How I'd do it in MODx (if you needed FC categories) would be to set a TV for it (select box, probably) and have the default value @INHERIT. Then you can set entire categories (in MODx) to appropriate categories in FC.

As far as testing goes, Authorize.net has the most stable testing platform, so I'd set it to that in your admin and use the test numbers here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:paymentgateways:authorize

When you say "bank details" you mean gateway information. If the client doesn't already have a merchant account and gateway setup we recommend CDG Commerce or PayPal Website Payments Pro (which is not normal PayPal).

Let us know how things go.
  • Thank you for the reply brett.

One other question for ya....At what point can we update the modx DB when a trasaction is sucessful. For example.

I add a bike using foxcart.
    I enter my cc details and purchase. At this point is there anyway to tell the MODx DB to update the order. ie set a TV or even update a table in the DB with the details the user entered and also the price and order confirmation?

Ive worked with a merchant system before that allowed you to specify a php script to execute on sucess etc?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    I think you're describing the XML datafeed.
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:datafeed

It's not instantaneous at this point, but should be sent no more than 1 minute after the transaction. (Note that it can contain more than one transaction if more than one came through in the preceding minute.)

Check the wiki for a few examples of MODx integration. Also, bdogsputnik actually built a whole MODx order management system that he'll be posting at some point, just so you don't go reinventing the wheel.
  • Cool, thats pretty much what I was after there.

Is bdogsputnik a member of this group?, ill pm him about his work so far. What we really need is a FoxyCart Module for MODx, that lets you view orders etc from within the manager.

Thanks for the help so far!!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We've talked about that before... eventually we'll probably build a plugin that will integrate nicely with the foxycart admin. Basically you would be able to manage everything right form within your MODx backend.

We'll get there...

eventually. :)