Foxy Forum Status

We're no longer responding to questions via our forum, but we will keep it up for historical reasons. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please visit our knowledge base or contact us. If there's enough interest in the future, we may bring the forum back.

jQuery 1.4

joelataylorjoelataylor Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited January 2010
Did a quick search for this and didn't see anything, so maybe I'm the first to ask - will FoxyCart be making an upgrade to jQuery 1.4? :)
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @joeltaylor.
    Yes, you're the first to ask. We've discussed it and looked at the changelog and such, and we do anticipate upping to jQ 1.4. We can't promise, but it looks like a straightforward enough of a process that we should be able to include it in our next release. What we won't do is push it back to existing versions, as that'd just cause too much potential for disaster. We try never to change existing versions except for obvious and critical bug fixes and security issues.
  • Hey @brett,
    Yep, makes sense. Great to know it's on the radar. Look forward to hearing more about the next release. :)
    Out of curiosity, what are you most wanting in 1.4? It looks like most of the new functionality is really targetted towards more advanced users. Some really awesome stuff in there. And the speed improvements, obviously ;)
  • ha, good question! I'm more asking as a pre-emptive thought. I know when I need to pull another payment system, I'll want to use the latest jQuery for the 'just-in-case' scenario.

Knowing that FC has jQ tied in I just want to feel the comfort of knowing we're using the latest and greatest.

Wish I had more of a 'holy-crap-that's-a-cool-idea' answer. ;)
    I haven't played with it yet, but I think the reworking of the events will actually make things a little more robust on the foxycart.js file that attaches click and submit events to .foxycart elements (particularly dynamically created elements). You can use that as your answer ;)
  • can someone provide me an update on this. We have a project that we need to use some javascript 1.4 functionality and the foxycart includes are limiting us.
  • If nothing else... could you recommend a work-around?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    You should be able to do a view source on the foxycart_includes, note the locations of the "raw" files and include those directly, minus jQuery. Granted, we haven't done extensive testing with jQuery 1.4 yet but plan to soon since it will be part of the next release. Also worth noting, the next release will have jQuery as a separate include file so you can choose to include it or not include it.
  • cmarshallcmarshall Member
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Luke... any idea when the next release will be?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We were close a couple weeks ago but the recent server struggles (http://status.foxycart.com/) have set us back quite a bit. We think there might be a bad disk controller on one of our servers so we're moving to a new server but in the process in order to keep things running, we started making performance changes in the code which has become the latest "scope creep" for the next version. We also have been struggling with some floating point precision issues with PHP so we've decided to implement an overhaul in how calculations are done which will bump things back a bit further also. I'd love to say it'll be in beta within weeks, but we're just not sure.
    Out of curiosity, what 1.4.x functionality do you need?
    That said, we're hoping to get 061 out in a beta release in the next few weeks, but in the meantime you might be able to unset jQuery (set jQuery and $ to = null) and load your own (from https, like via Google's hosted versions). I _think_ that the 060 javascript will be fine with jQuery 1.4.x, but you'd definitely need to test it thoroughly if you go that route.