My site doesn't take AMEX, how to remove graphic from cart?

creolecreole Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited March 2008
My client doesn't accept American Express due to the rates. He'd like to remove the card icon from the cart page. Is this possible?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited January 2010
    EDIT:
    Prior to v060, it was a background image with CSS (read below).
    v060+: It's a language string in your admin LANGUAGE page. Much easier.

================================================

Definitely. It's just a background image done with CSS. You can easily override the image with your own.

Check this documentation:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:templates:checkout

If you need additional help, let us know.
  • Brett...

For future reference, the way you guys put in the card images make it impossible to style JUST the cards. I had to save off that image to my client's site, crop it out, and use that new image. All you're doing is setting the images to the background of the entire payment container. It would be much easier to style were the images in their own separate container.
    edited March 2008
    Good point, but that'd be a bunch of extra markup that not everybody would want to use. If we hardcoded images in there it'd limit customization, and if we added extra divs with individual (or positioned) background images then you'd have to deal with the layout for multiple new small elements.

We've always tried to be as flexible as possible without assuming how our users would want to style the checkout, but it's definitely a difficult line to walk. I think a single bg image is a bit more manageable than 4 separate images and the associated extra markup, but I definitely see your point.

There are 4 extra "utility" divs in every fieldset, though, so you could conceivably stick those up top (with some absolute positioning) and give those the bg images, positioned so each div only shows one box. Then you wouldn't need to have the extra image, but it would be a significant amount of extra CSS, and swapping a single image is probably a bit easier.

Please continue to let us know what you think about things though. Our attempt at the css zen garden approach definitely isn't perfect (there are way too many IDs, for one), so if we can improve it we're definitely open to suggestions.
  • Okay...

Here's an important issue. Because I've had to save off the image onto my server and reference it there, I'm now getting the secure alert boxes popping up from within IE. I've got to move this image back on to your server and I need some sort of assistance from you. If that's just hosting the card images seperately, or hosting just this image that I'm using (only MC and Visa), or something.

Maybe rather than multiple containers, maybe just multiple images? There's 4 card types, and if you did all unique combinations of those 4 cards, you'd be looking at less than 16 images. Fewer probably because hardly anyone takes MC without also taking Visa, and people that take AMEX probably also take Discover.

I'm sure that my client's not the only one who doesn't take AMEX...what can be done guys?
    edited March 2008
    Just call the image like this:
    https://YOURDOMAIN.foxycart.com/cache.php?url=http://www.yourdomain.com/path/to/your/file.jpg

That's done automatically with our template caching, but if you aren't using that, you can call your images securely like that.

Let me know how it works out for you.

UPDATE: Good point that we probably should offer quick and easy replacement images so you don't have to slice your own.
  • Never mind...I see now that AutoMagic Cache will take care of the security issues. Problem resolved. Apologies.
    No need to apologize for not completely grasping how truly automagical it is ;)
    Sorry this tiny change has been such a headache for you.