Switching a gateway -- what happens to my current subscribers?

vossavantvossavant Member
in Help edited February 2010
Hi L&B,

Question, to which the answer may be obvious:

My client is having trouble with Authorize.net and wants to switch to Cybersource, which they use on another store and prefer. The concern is that existing customers (specifically subscribers on monthly billing) will lose their subscriptions or have to re-enter CC info.

Is this a valid concern, or can I just switch to Cybersource and hope nothing explodes?

Thanks,

Ryan
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    It's a good question, but we've actually switched our gateway twice (PayPal WPP -> Quantum -> Auth.net) and haven't had noticeable problems. It was a concern of ours too, but it seems like it's not that big a deal. We can't promise anything, obviously, but our own experience was smooth.

If you do this, please let us know how it goes. Also, out of curiosity, what's the problem with Auth.net? I mean, as far as gateways go it's pretty standard. Just wondering.
  • Thanks for the insta-response Brett.

I'll definitely let you know how the transition goes.

We use Authorize.net for our company and it works great (virtual terminal only so far), but apparently our client is having some issues, specifically:

[ulist]
    [li]about 25% of reoccurring billing get denied for unknown reasons[/li]
    [li]When cards expire we cannot manually update them[/li]
    [li]about 1/2 of our international client payments get denied[/li]
    [/ulist]
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @vossavant, I'm not sure switching gateways would help with those problems. It sounds like (especially in light of the intl issues) you need to examine your Auth.net fraud controls and AVS settings and such. Have you checked our wiki for recommendations?

http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:paymentgateways:authorize