Booking Administration Area

PhilPhil Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited March 2008
Hi Guys,

Been a very long time between posts!

I'm in the process of developing a booking/ticketing system for the National Press Club of Australia and would like to create a secure administration area where staff members can bring up address information to see who's attending.

Nothing personal needs to be displayed on the page (other than a name); staff will get all that in the admin email.

I was thinking the most obvious and easiest way to get the data would be from the datafeed; however, after fiddling with the Campaign Monitor example, I found myself rather lost =/

I'm sure it's a real simple solution, just need some help getting the xml data to display.

Thanks in advance, look forward to your response.

P.S. love the quantity_max feature - bravo!!
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Do you have a database setup to store the data you want to display in your secure admin? If so, you'll want to parse the XML and insert or update records in your database. The XML datafeed is not meant for displaying, it simply sends the data to you and lets you do what you want with it.

There are a few examples on the wiki of parsing the XML file to access your data. Are those helpful?
  • PhilPhil Member
    Ahh I see; that makes so much more sense now.

It's a MODx environment so with the wiki article on how to get xml into MYSQL (which I just found) it all seems quite simple.

I'll let you how I get on.

:)
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, if you're handy with MySQL and PHP you shouldn't have any problem. If you do need help, there are a few people we can recommend.
  • PhilPhil Member
    Wow, that was easy. Literally as simple as slipping an insert statement into the inventory snippet and it now works a charm.

A little stuck as to how to retrieve the xml cleanly though. Can you directly reference xml data within a table or do you need to fetch then parse it? I know it's out of the scope of this forum, but I'd thought I'd ask anyways :)
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    You'd have to parse it, unless there's some crazy cool MySQL functionality I don't know of.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, that MySQL script on our wiki just dumps the raw XML into the database. I think what you'd actually want to do would be to parse it _before_ entering it into your database, which would probably require at least 2 or 3 tables to do it "right".

We should probably create some script to do that, as it'd be super handy. Once you have the XML into a database in an intelligent manner you could really do whatever you wanted. If that's something that interests you, let us know. I'm not sure when we'd be able to get to it, but we could certainly help you get there, or recommend a good programmer to get there for a little bit of money.
  • PhilPhil Member
    "parse it _before_ entering it into your database, which would probably require at least 2 or 3 tables to do it "right"."

Yeah I guessed as much; I'll have a dig around today when I get time and see if I can get something working.

I'm quite happy plodding along for the moment, but if you have any thoughts or suggestions I'm all ears.
  • I have made simple ticket system using flash. It's only secure through obscurity (if you know the order id then you can view the ticket). At our event everyone with a ticket will be double checked against the transaction list from foxycart. It is more a "feel good" feature for the customer. Let me know and I can send it to you. I modified the log script and had it write each order out as a separate file.