Minimum shipping per order regardless of category

KeriMorgretKeriMorgret Member
in Help edited February 2010
I want to charge $5 minimum shipping for an order, and use multiple categories. Is there a way I can have a flat minimum $5 for the order even if an order comes from three different categories? In my testing, it looks like there is a $15 shipping charge.

Can this be done? Did I do my testing wrong? I had thought that it could be done, and based my shipping scheme around this minimum $5 per shipment.

Background information: We sell only physical products, and will not be using live shipping. Most of our products can be fit into one of the USPS flat rate shipping boxes. We have a category that's $1 handling for any number of items in that category (little things like resistors and switches), figuring whether it's one item or ten that $6 would cover the shipping. We have another category for stuff that's bulkier (some safety sunglasses and motors) where we're saying $2 per item in that category for shipping, in addition to the $5. Enough of those bigger items, we'll need a bigger flat rate shipping box, and the extra money will account for that. But we only want the minimum $5 shipping for the entire order, not per category. So if someone order five resistors and three sunglasses, it should be $12 for shipping -- $1 (resistors) plus $6 ($2/ea for 3 sunglasses) plus $5 (base price).

Thanks!
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:advanced:forum
    That page has links to some shipping tweaks, but I'm not sure any of them will be what you're after. Luke may have a better idea, so if he chimes in please listen to him instead of me.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited March 2010
    It's often a mistake to listen to me... but I try anyway. Try setting up all of your categories for flat rate shipping configured as $0 in the admin and then add this to your checkout template:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery("document").ready(function(){
    FC.checkout.config.orderFlatRateShipping = 5;
    FC.checkout.updateShipping(-1);
    });
    </script>

That basically overrides whatever the normal shipping calculations FoxyCart comes up with and should give you what you want.
  • I tried this code snippet - it seems to be working for two categories we set up, but not for default categories.

Here's the page: http://www.strikemodels.com/products/cannon-test/

When I try adding a product in category S1 to the cart, which has $1.00 handling and $0.00 shipping applied in FoxyCart admin, it correctly shows as $6.00 shipping and handling (adding in the $5.00 flat rate from the script snippet). But when I try adding a non-categorized item to the cart, it shows $0.00 shipping and handling.

Do we have to add all of our non-categorized products to a category in order to take advantage of the script? That seems weird...
  • Also - forgot to mention, but even when the shipping/handling is showing up on the receipt, it doesn't show in the S&H box in the form at the top of the checkout page - you can only see it at the bottom right above credit card details. Isn't it supposed to show in the form at the top too?

I just tried the process again and now it doesn't seem to be working at all, even for the categorized items.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Kanjigirl. Sorry for the confusion, but the shipping calculations don't fire off until the contact information is entered in. Add this line to fire that off on page load:
    FC.checkout.updateShipping(-1);

(I'll update the post above as well).

Additionally, I'm seeing some SSL security warnings. Be sure to use our caching system so that all of your assets (images, js, css) can be hosted securely on our site. The screencasts in the wiki should help walk you through that if you're not familiar with what I'm referring to.
  • I followed these instructions for caching my checkout template:

Login to your FoxyCart admin.

1. Enter that URL into your FoxyCart admin (on the Templates ? Checkout page).
    2. Hit the “cache your url” button.
    3. Hit the “update template” button at the bottom of the page after the page has reloaded and you've received the green success box.

That apparently didn't work based on the errors you saw, I just tried it again with both the checkout and receipt templates. If this is still giving errors, can you send me a link for the caching screencast? I've been unable to find it in the wiki.

The new line in the script is working great. Maybe that also means my caching worked this time?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/screencasts

Looks like your checkout is secure as well, so ... you're good to go?