going back after "continue" on receipt

sgrohitsgrohit Member
in Help edited March 2008
After clicking continue on my receipt (which contains download links) I am taken back to my site as expected. However, after going Back in my browser from there (to return to the receipt), a page with the following message appears:

"I can't seem to find your checkout information. Please start again. [link to my site URL]"

This wasn't quite intuitive for a user testing my site. Is this a security measure or maybe a consequence of the default FoxyCart PayPal sandbox environment? What's the expected behavior here?

Thanks.
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    The reason is that the receipt is generated based on the transaction (session), which gets cleared pretty much when the receipt is generated.

We agree that it's not the most idea behavior, and we have plans to allow a more flexible receipting structure in upcoming versions (including the ability to recall old receipts).

For now though, yes, it's the expected behavior. Sorry about that.
  • Gotcha.

Any idea on the timeframe for that updated receipting structure?

Thanks.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    It's a pretty major redesign of the checkout structure that we're working on pretty heavily. At this point, we don't have a definite time frame but if you take a look at our change log, you'll probably agree that we do things pretty fast around here.
  • I get "I can't seem to find your checkout information. Please start again" in Firefox even before checkout is complete.

Steps:
    [ulist]
    [li]Start at http://www.collectivesoftware.com/Purchase/Cart[/li]
    [li]Add something to cart[/li]
    [li]Go to checkout[/li]
    [li]Click "cancel and continue shopping" link[/li]
    [li]Scroll down and click the "proceed to checkout" link[/li]
    [/ulist]

In Firefox 3 this leads to an error of "I can't seem to find your checkout information. Please start again" that can't be fixed without clearing all session cookies related to my site and foxycart. (Strictly speaking it might only be a subset of the cookies but I can't figure out the root cause)

Can anyone at foxy tell me what I'm doing wrong? All this works just peachy in IE 7. Good thing that most of my customers are Microsoft ppl.
    Hmmm.... probably a 3rd party cookie issue. I'll take a look.
  • I don't think I changed my FF cookie settings from default. Let me know if you can't repro and/or if you want to check what settings are in use.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yea, seems to work ok from my test. Does it happen to you each time this way? What settings do you have in place?
    I can confirm this issue when 3rd party cookies are disabled. We'll take a look.
  • I just looked-- third party cookies are indeed turned off. Since the store and checkout really are on different domains, I can see how this might feasibly be an issue.

The strange thing is how it works fine on the first visit to the checkout. It fails after I go back to the store and then forward again to the checkout.

And yes it is 100% reproducible on my firefox based on my listed procedure above.
    edited November 2008
    We have safeguards in place to make the 3rd party thing not an issue, but apparently it's not working fully. I had a feeling that something might have been off in 040 but I couldn't figure out how to duplicate it, so thanks for confirming my suspicions. Now we can fix it.
    Update: We've finally identified the problem. A & should have been just a &, which was causing all sorts of trouble on the cart=checkout redirect. We'll be discussing whether or not this will be patched to current version (probably yes), and how far (probably 040 and 032). We'll update shortly. Thanks for your patience, and thanks again for showing us how to duplicate this issue. I can't believe it's gone for so long undetected.