flat rate shipping matrix

gl330kgl330k Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited March 2008
We sell one item in our store. We were wondering if it is possible to setup a shipping matrix like the following:

1 book $3 ship/handling
2-4 books $7 ship/handling
5-9 books $10 ship/handling
10-25 books $15 ship/handling
26+ $20 ship/handling

Right now I know that we can set a flat rate of shipping per product or per order but I don't think there's a way to do this. Is there?

Thanks
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    You could fake it with category wide quantity discounts, but... actually... that might work out ok, since it shows up as a line item. (Good thing we allowed positive "discount" amounts!)

So you'd add something like:
    Shipping and Handling{1+3|2+7|5+10|10+15|26+20}
    That'd have to be type discount_quantity_amount, but it should work. This should be added to the CATEGORY, and not to the products themselves. So you'd probably just stick this in the default category in the FC admin.

Not the most ideal solution, but I think it should at least get you by until we roll our "supership" (which is still a ways off). Might get weird depending on how you're doing taxes, but worth a shot.

Let us know how that works out for you.
  • Brett

Thanks for the pointers. I would give that a try except that we already have quantity discounts in place for these products. Are we stuck in this case then?
    Interesting question... are you using category quantity discounts, or line-item quantity discounts?

The combination of the two (line-item and category) seems to work, but you can't have 2 line-item or two category-based discounts at the same time.
  • Brett,

I tested this out and it does seem to work. However using the parameter 'discount_quantity_amount' adds that amount per book and I was hoping to add it for the total order. Thus the scale would be a decreasing amount of shipping per number of items ordered. The above actually has an increasing cost of shipping per book. I didn't realize until I started playing with it.

Also, how will this play with quantity percentage discount? Which is calculated first?

Thanks.
    Ah... good point.
    I believe it's the line-item discounts first, then the category discounts.
    You can change the + to - to get it to subtract per book rather than add the "discount" per book. Is that what you mean? So:
    Shipping and Handling{1-3|2-7|5-10|10-15|26-20}

Is that what you're looking for?
  • I have a somewhat similar problem - orders up to 9 books have to pay shipping costs, with 10+ shipping is free.
    At the same time, 10+ Books get a $1 discount each, 20+ books $2 each, and 100+ $3 each.

If I understand correctly, the way to implement this is to do the shipping discounts on a per-item and the other discounts on a per-category basis?

Thanks.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yes, that should work. You can use either per item or per category discounts based on what works best for you. In the future, we will have a real shipping matrix system, but for now discounts and handling fees will get the job done.
  • Still not sure this solution will work for me. I have 2 types of discount:

a) orders of 10+ books get 12.5% discount - can solve that with category discount
    b) orders of 10+ books also get free shipping - that's a combination of ANY books, so line-item discount wouldn't work (unless I am misunderstanding it) and I'd need to use a category discount but can't have two.

Your super shipping module is not about to be released by any chance???

In addition to the above, I'm stuck setting up the other shipping costs where 1 book = €3 shipping and 2-9 books = €6 shipping.

Any help appreciated.
  • bjbkbjbk Member
    @intandem, from my understanding your two discounts require two different approaches. To apply the free shipping based on the amount of books in the cart, you would need to setup some javascript to inspect the json object and customise the shipping if need be. This would also allow you to setup the shipping rates for 1 and 2-9 books.

This thread should help you out, the first post and my last post should be what your after I think.
  • Thanks for that bjbk. It's my first eCommerce project so it's great to get some help :-) Thanks, will give it a go!