Shipping

sheeleysheeley Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited August 2007
I was just speaking to Brett and wanted to get these two shipping requests out on the forum:
1. Rules based shipping. It'd be nice to define various levels of packages/etc by the quantity of products shipped or other inputs.
2. Ability to select only the shipping methods you use. We only use FedEx Priority so to have someone try to choose Economy would sort of screw things up.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey sheeley, thanks for posting!

Can you give me some specific examples of how you'd like to see #1 work? We'd like to stay away from business process as much as possible and stick to developing simple systems that make sense for the largest group of people. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

As for #2... is the default method checked causing a problem? It had to be setup in such a way that at least one service method was selected. Based on what you're saying, this should be changed to "at least one is selected", instead of pre-checking a default, right? That shouldn't be too difficult to fix.
  • Luke, thanks for the reply.

#1 - It would be great to have a shipping rules section, I had thought dependent upon categories, but maybe it makes more sense to just do rules alone.
    An example rule would be like:

With product from (Category, some-cool-future-thing-that-doesn't-exist-yet) where (quantity, price, weight) ( >, >=, =,
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    #2 should be fixed now.

We'll be tossing around the rules based shipping a little more before it hits our roadmap. We've also been thinking about an XML file that could be prepared by the store owner, parsed by FoxyCart and used to determine specific shipping rates.

The example you gave as far as rules go makes a lot of sense and seems pretty flexible. Thanks for your input.
  • Sounds pretty good. I'll let you know when I check it out... though the forums continue to load, the main site seems to be down.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Sorry, site up. Will update the other thread with details.
  • I just tried to take Fedex Economy off, and while it deselected in the form, it comes back as selected after submission.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    That doesn't seem right... I'll take a look at it.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Sheeley, do you see a red error at the top of the page? If you have "international shipping" selected for FedEx but you don't have at least one fedex international service selected, it will revert back to the previous selection. Does that help?
  • Hey Luke, sorry I didn't realize this got a response. I just tried again, and no error at the top, just resets the international economy to be checked.
  • Same thing happens with DHL ground, as well.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Finally got around to this one... should be fixed now. There was a bit of code that continued to keep the previous "default" options checked. Please let us know if you see anything else that's a little wonky.
  • Sweet, looking good.
  • Hey Luke,
    my coworker was just doing some testing and he found that though the default options were switched off in the admin, they still showed up for customers selecting shipping. Could some setting be stuck still? (alliteration, woo.)
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Heya Sheeley, sorry about that. It's a bug in the admin. I just logged into your store and figured out what was wrong. Even though you had fedex domestic shipping unchecked, the ground entry was still checked. When I checked use fedex domestic, I noticed the ground entry checked. I had to check domestic, uncheck ground and then uncheck domestic and then hit update.

We'll fix that in the admin. If domestic (or international) is unchecked, it should clear out everything in that category.

Thanks for spotting this and letting us know about it.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited October 2007
    Ok, we just updated the admin so this problem should be fixed.

Thanks again for letting us know about it.
  • Thanks, guys.
  • So, another shipping issue. (I'm sure you guys aren't getting tired of this topic yet)

We went through a pseudo order, with a product in a category that has flat rate of $15 per order. When shipping from Troy, NY to Roanoke, VA, it says $15. Shipping from Troy to Troy costs $48. Seems to be off, somehow?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Sheeley, are you referring to the "handling fee"? That is different than a "flat rate" shipping fee. The category you have setup is using a handling fee of $15 as well as the default shipping configuration for your store (currently DHL for domestic shipping). When I run a test to Troy, NY I get $48.41 (note, this would be DHL's cost plus your $15) and when I run a test to Roanoke, VA I get $45.28 (again, your $15 is built in).

When I run a quote at dhl.com, I get slightly different numbers... I called DHL about this and they were not very helpful. They said I need to follow up with the XML request team at DHL. She said they are going through "staffing issues" right now, but hopefully that doesn't mean their system is also having "issues". I'll fire off an email to them and see if there's a reason for the discrepancy. Basically, from what I can tell, their XML-based rate quote system is quoting a slightly higher rate for the Troy to Troy shipment and a slightly lower rate for the Troy to Roanoke shipment.

Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do if their systems aren't in sync...
  • Sorry, flat handling fee. Maybe something funky was happening with DHL when we were just getting $15. Thanks.
  • It's baaaaaaack. More shipping stuff going on. We have Fedex for int'l and DHL for domestic, but for some reason when using an int'l address, this error message shows up in the shipping options box:
    DHL Error: Error(4169):Only domestic shipping supported. Country code must be US

Doesn't happen when the situation is reversed (no Fedex error for domestic addresses).
    Sorry that it's not abundantly clear, but we currently only support DHL for domestic (US only) shipments. Hence the error. They have an entirely separate method for international rates, I think.

Is your other $15 issue resolved?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Maybe not "abundantly clear", but at least we did list it in the changelog. :)
  • Brett, we aren't trying to use DHL for international shipments. I don't know why, but it is still checking DHL for quotes when out of the states.

As far as the other issue, our quotes are all off. If we ship to anything out of our immediate area via DHL, it shows up either as $0 or some outlandish number. I have no idea what the cause of that problem is, but if you'd like I could give you a page to take a look at, maybe you guys would be able to recognize what our issues are.

On top of that, I just found out we have some sort of agreements with Fedex and DHL to give us discounts on shipping, I'd expect that to be a percentage or something, but whatever it ends up being, it'd be nice to be able to have that reflected in the quote.
  • We get percentage discounts from both Fedex and DHL, but different percentages for each.
    Dude... really? You're not just making this stuff up to give us ulcers?

We'll take a look at the shipping issues you're experiencing in the very near future. Not sure what that could be off hand.
  • Yeah, weird, huh? do you want a sample page?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    A sample page would be great. As for the discounts, I've thought about that a bit as well. We'll probably expand the shipping section eventually so you can set your own login/password for the various shipping methods we offer. That way your quote will be for your account. We're also looking into possibly integrating with ShipWorks...

- Your foxy team hard at work to make you look foxier.
  • Thanks for taking a look. I'll whisper it to you guys since the site won't be live for a bit. ShipWorks sounds awesome, definitely. Definitely.
  • Hey Luke, any idea what could be causing this? We've got a meeting tomorrow and would like to roll out asap.
    Hi Sheeley.
    Can you clarify what the current issues are? I think we thought that your previous comment indicated things were fixed, but if issues remain, let us know which particular issues those are so we can diagnose.