The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Shipping

2»
Comments
  • Sorry, I meant I had fixed the javascript link.
  • Hi guys

After a big delay with this site - Im almost in the position to launch... just looking at shipping now.

Being outside the US and not using DHL or UPS, is the best way to create custom shipping bands (domestic only - to save complication) using product categories?

eg. Product category X > flat rate shipping £2.00
    Product category Y > flat rate shipping £4.00
    etc...

then depending on the weight, i can allocate each product to a category?

cheers

0ad
  • ah, ok - that solution isnt great when it comes to collecting up shipping on big orders - or at least, you end up not being very generous...

ideally i guess, im after a custom shipping price to weight bander

ive gotta say, shipping doesnt seem straight forward, everyones gonna want something different..
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Shipping has always been the biggest challenge facing us because we want to be the most flexible system out there. We're looking into integrating with more international shipping rate calculators, but we understand the need for something else in the mean time. The beginning of this thread has some good ideas about developing a rules-based system where you could essentially build your own logic based on postal code, state/province, country, weight and/or price. I'm not sure exactly when this will be implemented, but it's quickly finding itself at the top of our list.

We'll keep you posted. If you have any additional comments to add to help us make this system flexible for everyone, please let us know.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Man, you're telling us. We feel pretty good about what FoxyCart is so far, but shipping is just one of those areas that seems to be impossible.

We've been discussing shipping in detail lately, and we think we have a solution that'd allow ultimate flexibility. That said, do you want to go into a little more detail about what you're ideal solution would be? We want to make sure that we cover as many bases as we can.

That said, if you just want a price -> £ conversion, straight across, you could try a percentage based scheme using the handling rates. Like £2 + 10% of the order total. Might that work?
  • cheers, i just had a quick look at ShipWorks.com - looks like they know what theyre doing.

My ecommerce clients are small businesses that take their packages to the post office and send them surface mail up to a 2kg. Beyond 2kg they would either use Parcelforce at the post office or some small domestic courier. The price they charge for shipping would usually be based on weight. There may be situations where this isnt the case, but I'd expect they would quote for those separately (thus adding a manual shipping cost to an order and have it verified/accepted by the customer by email would be on my wishlist one day). But for now, being able to create a 'Shipping region' based on country and a scale of weight to cost (not tied to prices released by DHL or UPS or whatever) would be ideal.

eg. Shipping Region: UK (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales)
    <100g : £1, <250g : £2.50, <500g : £3.50, <1kg : £5.50, <2kg : £7.50, then £2 for every kg thereafter...

respects
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks Oad. This is the kind of feedback we need to make sure we head in the right direction on these things. We have to get recurring products working first, then we'll probably tackle some more payment gateways and custom shipping options as you're describing.
  • I am wondering if there is a way to manipulate shipping to only allow certain states. I have a winery client, and legally we can only ship to a handful of states, so I dont even want the states we cant ship to to come up in the list, otherwise we will have to get into refunds etc. Anyway to do this on the shipping address only and leave the billing address displaying all the states?
  • My client selects the shipper after receiving the order, so I need an option for collecting the customer's shipping address without actually calculating or charging for it.

Is there an option setup I could use for this?
    Could you just use "No shipping" on your categories? You could stick a note in the shipping fieldset on checkout (using a bit of jQuery) letting them know shipping will be calculated later.

Yes?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I think the problem has to do with the shipping address container (the "ship to another address") doesn't show up unless you're using a shippable delivery method. This is honestly not a situation we thought someone would have. We'll think it through and get back to you. You may just need to build your own shipping address info as custom fields, but I know that's not ideal for you.
    Good point, Luke. Hadn't thought of that. I think it'd make more sense to set shipping to $0 for the categories, so at least you'd get the shipping fieldset, rather than creating your own custom fields. Maybe that's just me though.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, that should work. If it shows up as shipping = $0 (even though you're going to charge shipping later), you may want to hide that with some javascript and replace it with a message letting the user know shipping charges will be calculated later.