The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Deleting FoxyCart customer accounts

nathanpitmannathanpitman Member
in Help edited March 2010
Is it possible to delete FoxyCart customer accounts? We've probably created a rather huge number during testing and I'd like to be able to clean these out before we go live...
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey nathanpitman. Not entirely, but you can use the API to modify them as you see fit (change the email addresses to test1@example.com, test2@example.com, etc).

Another option would be to create a new fresh store, copy your settings over and just leave this store around as your test store. We strongly recommend having a store you can test with besides just your live store.
  • Is there any way to duplicate a store including all settings? It's going to be a fairly large and painful job to create a new store with identical settings in order to rid the system of all the test transactions and user accounts... :/
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Not currently, but it is something we've talked about. Please add it to our requests page and we'll get to it eventually: http://requests.foxycart.com/
  • nathanpitmannathanpitman Member
    edited April 2010
    Please talk about it some more! Or add a feature to allow us to blitz all customer records from an existing FoxyCart store! - http://requests.foxycart.com/forums/4162-general-requests/suggestions/615115-ability-to-duplicate-a-foxycart-store

You suggested modifying a customer account, I don't have a record of all test accounts that we have created so I'm guessing there may be some way to return a list of customer accounts via the API and I could then cycle through these changing the email addresses to test1@example.com etc as suggested?

:)
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Perhaps a better thing would be a way to purge all of a store's records, though I could see catastrophic results from allowing functionality like that.
  • Perhaps make this possible but require that a user re-enters their account password to do so and obviously include a sufficient warning. This would be a fantastic feature to have, as it is it's very hard to re-test as if you're a new user without setting up a crazy number of email accounts... and then there's the issue of all the test data kicking about still.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Do you have a gmail account? We always recommend using gmail to test since you can use the +anyrandomstringyouwant method after the address to basically have an unlimited number of email accounts like so: example+test1@example.com. Also, having a test store is REALLY important so setting up a new clean store makes the most sense. What settings do you have that would take a long time to port over manually? We have a lot of high visibility requests right now so unfortunately we won't be implementing this in the immediate future.
  • what if you could just have a button to say copy these store settings to a new one. this would be kind of cool cause you might not remember what settings that you have changed and maybe miss the important ones.

just a suggestion
  • @itisnot_me Agree, even if you do set up a new store, remembering what's changed is hard to keep track of.

@Luke, I have 40 tax settings for starters... I'm not looking forward to having to manually re-enter all of these!
  • @nathanpitman: oh i know what you ment my post was more directed at brett and luke. it was a suggestion for future releases.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Something else we've discussed in the past was allowing a sort of side-by-side dev mode/store to go along with the live, with functionality to one-click copy over settings from the dev version. At this point though I think we can honestly say that shipping and some other things are much bigger priorities, but it's definitely a good discussion for us to keep in mind.
  • Well any of the above mentioned methods get my vote, anything to make FoxyCart easier to deploy has to be of great benefit to the majority of users. :)