Request: Get datafeed as JSON

ChuckTrukkChuckTrukk Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited March 2010
I have really fallen in love with the JSON objects in foxy.

Since the XML feeds do not contain any attributes, it would be great to have an option to get the data feeds as JSON.

There might be stuff I dont know about that could cause problems, but I wanted to throw that out there if it's possible for 061.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Chuck. Brett's been asking for this same thing for a while now. We've talked a lot about it and will definitely be exploring it in future versions... just not sure if we can come up with something by the time we get 061 in testing. If you happen to come across some libraries or scripts that would make this conversion easy, please feel free to share them with us. As you mentioned, our XML is pretty simple so in theory, it should be possible to support the data as JSON.
  • Hey Luke,

I've been using some components from the Zend framework quite a bit recently, particularly for XML/Json.
    Here's their XML to JSON processor: http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.json.xml2json.html
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks Chuck. I don't think we'll be using Zend anytime soon, but we might play with this a bit: http://php.net/manual/en/function.json-encode.php

Not sure where on the radar this will end up, but it is on the radar... :)
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Funny, I have been wanting this for a while but I was messing around with the FC XML and Zoho Creator over the weekend and I realized a few things:
    - Zoho Creator's JSON responses for their API are _ridiculous_. Ridiculous bad. Just silly. So my conclusion is that it's easy to make JSON just really, really stupid. (Like when you wrap each value in an array (list, hash, whatever) then an object (associative array, etc.) then another array, or using arrays willy-nilly when you only will ever have a single value. Stuff like that.)

- I actually am starting to appreciate XML over JSON for certain things like flexibility in the attributes v child nodes and different selection options like Xpath.

- I still prefer to work with nicely organized JSON.

- XML can still be pretty stupid at times, but poorly thought out XML beats poorly thought out JSON hands down, ever time imo.

We are moving more towards JSON in a lot of the newer stuff we're doing, so it's on our minds. Glad to know others are thinking about it too.
  • Just a heads up, you can use the Zend JSON component without actually using Zend framework. I've been working a lot with XML and JSON feeds and am using just a few Zend components - namely Zend_JSON and Zend caching.

But if you know the box you're on, json_encode works pretty efficiently too.
  • +1 on this
  • This thread seems rather quiet. Has this been implemented?

I have been asked to populate SugarCRM from Foxydata and I'm not sure that the XML datafeed will do the job. Any suggestions?
  • winstonwinston FoxyCart Team
    @adeutsch

We are working on a hypermedia API (work in progress docs are here: http://api.foxycart.com ) but for now the XML datafeed is still the only way to get a post-transaction hook.