The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Which PayPal package is right for my client?

nathanpitmannathanpitman Member
in Help edited April 2010
My client is about to sign up for PayPal and I need to know what package to advise, I'm not entirely clear what is right for him from the docs... we have a site which has paid subscriptions and also stand alone products. Will a standard PayPal Business Account support these transaction types (subscriptions in particular) or will my client need to go for a paid PayPal package?

TIA!
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited April 2010
    Hi Nathan.
    Our next release will support PayPal Standard subscriptions, but for now you're _not_ going to want to go with PayPal if you're doing subscriptions.

The biggest differences are:
    1) If you don't want to send users off to PayPal (which can decrease conversions and look tacky), you'll need either PayPal Websites Payments Pro or a "real" gateway + merchant account.
    2) If you want to accept subscriptions via credit card, you'll need a "real" gateway as well.

Does that help?

Fwiw, we typically recommend [url=http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:paymentgateways:quantumgateway
    ]CDG[/url], as it's pretty cheap and has no contracts or setup.
  • Hi Brett

I guess the main reasons for wanting to use PayPal are that it means we can offer PayPal Account as a payment mechanism and I understand that although at present this only applies to products that in the next release this will also encompass subscriptions? Is there any word on when the next release will become available?

Finally, are you saying that in order for recurring subscriptions to actually work in FoxyCart that we will have to use a real gateway as opposed to PayPal Website Payments Pro?

:)
    edited April 2010
    It's 2 things really:
    1) You can use PayPal in addition to a gateway as of v060.
    2) You cannot use PayPal to do recurring billing at all as of v060.

The other thing, as mentioned, is that PayPal Standard can _only_ do payments through PayPal, so your customer has to go off of your site to go through PayPal. This can be confusing and can hurt conversions. Having PayPal as an option definitely _helps_ conversions, but having it as the _only_ option hurts.

No timeframe on our next release yet but we're working hard on it.
  • Ok, so to clarify... if we used CDG we could sell recurring subscriptions through FoxyCart (via Foxee) and if we also signed up for PayPal standard we could also offer payment via a PayPal account (though only for one off product purchases). So with the exception of recurring subscriptions via PayPal we get the best of both worlds.

I guess if CDG has lower costs than PayPal Website Payments Pro then this is a bit of a no brainer.
    Yes, you're correct. And CDG is about half the monthly fee of PayPal Website Payments Pro. (That, and we really discourage WPP for recurring billing anyway, due to a few issues noted in our wiki: http://wiki.foxycart.com/products:subscriptions .)
  • Brilliant, thanks for all the help Brett. :)