UK VAT - setting to deduct the VAT for value given?

benfrainbenfrain Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited May 2010
I've just setup about 100 products, only to realise that the VAT setting can only be added to the value based to Foxycart. Is there any setting to display VAT but take it back off the amount or simply have an option that says something like 'UK VAT is included in the prices displayed'

E.g. at present my item is £10, when it's added to Foxycart it adds VAT at 17.5 so the price is now £11.75.

However, the £10 in my pages includes VAT, so can Foxycart show Price at £8.51 + VAT = £10?

If it can't do the working back thing, an option to include that message would be a good second place.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hello benfrain. We don't currently support 'inclusive' tax rates in the product price though this can be handled in a number of ways. You can add a custom message to all your products like "VAT Tax=5%" to all your add to cart links and forms to let them know VAT is included. Another option would be to use a discount to add a positive amount like so: discount_price_percentage=VAT Tax{0+5} I don't think we can display the product price separately from the tax unless you use the existing tax system and make it clear to the customer that the VAT tax amounts will be added back in on the checkout screen after they put in their billing information.

Does that help?
  • Hi Luke, that seems like a good idea. I'll try setting up all items with a 17.5% discount (equivalent to UK VAT) and then add it back with the VAT setting.

I'm using forms for all products so could you explain what I'd change here to get a 17.5 discount?
    <form action="https://storename.foxycart.com/cart"; class="foxycart" method="post">	

<input type="hidden" name="name" value="PRODUCT (15ml)" />
    <input type="hidden" name="price" value="45.00" />
    <input type="submit" class="submitbf" value="" />
    </form>

• lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    More info on discounts here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/getting_started/adding_links_and_forms#discounts

Just add this field:
    <input type="hidden" name="discount_price_percentage" value="VAT Tax{0-17.5}" />

• That's great luke, thanks
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Wow, great thinking on that, Luke.

@benfrain, let us know how it goes, and please vote for this:
    http://bit.ly/ckuGFv
  • edited April 2012
    Hi there Brett - sorry to revive an old topic but I am wondering how this works?

The way I see it is that the numbers will not add up:

The current way would mean doing the following:

Base price - 19.99
    Add a percentage discount ( 20% ) - 15.992 ( 19.99 * 0.8 )
    Total with tax ( 20% ) - 19.1904 ( 15.992 * 1.2 )

In this case the final price is calculated incorrectly.

But it needs to work like this:

Base price - 19.99
    Ex-tax price ( 20% ) - 16.6583 ( 19.99 / 1.2 )
    Total with tax ( 20% ) - 19.99 ( 16.6583 * 1.2 )

Is there any way in which you think this can work?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I'll ping @brett on this one as he's more familiar with the discounts than I am. I feel like there are a lot of stores handling VAT pricing, but I'm also not sure how to properly answer your question. It's Monday after all. :)

If you don't hear back from us in a day or two, please ping the thread again.