Maintenance Notices

skymastersonskymasterson Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited May 2010
Hi,

I noticed that we're getting a maintenance update on the site from 11-11:20 PM PST. Was this scheduled in advance?

There are things I can do to make the customer experience better, but I need to know in advance. Do I need to subscribe to some sort of maintenance update email list? Thanks!
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    It's a very good question, and something we've been meaning to do for a while. Two things we'll be doing in the next few weeks:
    1) Implementing RSS on http://status.foxycart.com/, and allowing an RSS -> email signup if we can get something that works well. (Haven't looked into it yet but I'm pretty sure the email service providers we like offer that.)

2) Standardizing the maintenance windows. They're unofficially Saturdays at 11pm PST, but we'll formalize that.

When we are expecting a window longer than 10 minutes or so we have sent out emails in the past, but for the maintenance window last night it was a) an "emergency", so we didn't have much notice to give, and b) expected to be under 10 minutes. While DNS caching may have made it slightly longer, we were only down for about 7 minutes, so it was pretty quick.

All that said though, we have considered even creating a little js that you could stick on your site that would actually query our status server and if a window is coming up it'd alert the customer. We like this idea a LOT but it's a bit more than we have the time to pull off at this point.

What would be your ideal functionality when we have scheduled maintenance? We'd love your feedback.