The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Error 10751

oskayoskay Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited June 2010
I just received a report from a customer in Japan. They tried *eight* times to check out, each time getting the error "Error: There was an error processing your payment: (10751 Invalid Data) There's an error with this transaction. Please enter a valid state in the billing address."

I can see no problem with their address, and the country was indeed selected as Japan.

From the Paypal virtual terminal guide, this error code should only occur for US and canada addresses. Can you please investigate?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Thx oskay. We'll take a look.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey oskay. Have you tried contacting PayPal about this? Does your account need something special configured in order to process orders from Japan? It looks like the state was set as Gunma. Could it be possible that PayPal is trying to validate that? We're sending the data to them and they are rejecting it for the reason specified... so they may know more about the why than we do at this point.
  • oskayoskay Member
    We have not contacted paypal; we have transactions from Japan regularly, and I haven't come across this before.
  • oskayoskay Member
    Luke, when you say, "We're sending the data to them and they are rejecting it for the reason specified," do you mean that you've tried separately, or do you mean just when the customer was trying to place the order? Have you had other cases where this error occurs for non-US/Canada transactions?
  • oskayoskay Member
    Okay, mining my own error log, I've come across two similar, apparently very rare, errors from The Netherlands and Brazil. Whatever this is, it looks to me like a rare but longstanding bug somewhere between you and paypal. Is it possible that you're somehow failing to communicate to them or recognize the state correctly?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey oksay. If you compare the data in the error logs with data from a successful transaction from the same country, what differences do you see? There may actually be states or provinces that PayPal will not work with. If the data in the error log is the same as the data for a successful transaction than that means we sent the same data to PayPal both times and one time they rejected it, the other time the accepted it. I'm not saying there might not also be something going on within our code, but if the data is the same, you should probably contact PayPal first with specific timestamps and see if they can track down why those entries errored out.