Sales tax in California

in Bugs & Feature Requests edited June 2010
I'm setting up a cart for a client and have a few questions about tax. We have to accept tax in CA and AZ states. However, CA specifically is factored based on the county they're in (I think).

1. can we accept tax based on two states they're ordering from?

2. does FoxyCart have a way to determine the county they're from so we're charging the correct amount of tax?

Thanks for your help. This is a tricky one!
Comments
  • Whoops. Just realized I posted this in bugs. If you could move it to the correct section on the forum I would appreciate it.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey ashworth. You may want to start with some searches in the forum for "tax" as we've had a lot of conversations about this one. The "by county" thing has always been confusing because very few stores actually ask for county or the +4 zip code in order to do accurate taxes. We currently support global, country, state (what we call regional) and city (or local) taxes and have plans to improve things further, possibly integrating with a third party provider and/or opening up the tax calculations so that your site could host an API for obtaining that information for your needs.

That all being said, the answer to question 1 is yes. To question 2... well, there are ways to do it (add all the cities for the counties you have to collect for, etc) but nothing super advanced at this point. As I said, you may find more in the forums.
  • No worries. Is there a way for me to do an Excel import of all the tax cities into your system without having to add them one by one through the form? That would take forever with California! :)
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Not currently. Please vote for that here: http://requests.foxycart.com/