Using Multiple Coupons Per Ordre

skymastersonskymasterson Member
in Help edited June 2010
Hi,

I'd like to use coupons to provide referral credits to customers. When the check-out, I want to give them a $10 credit for each coupon used.

Thus, I want them to be able to add multiple coupons until the order amount is zero.

Is this possible? I took one coupon and generated 150 variants.

Coupon Details - 1-10

Thanks!
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey skymasterson. Have you tried it out? I can't say for sure because I'm not sure we've done that before.
  • Hi Luke,

So I get the error message "This coupon has already been added to this order." when i try to enter in 2 coupons from the same base code, but are different variants.

However, I am able to enter in 2 coupons if each has come from a different base code.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? Based on the way the screen and the documentation is written, it would seem that you can use multiple coupon variants from the same base.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, I don't think that's a very common use case, now that I think about it some more. If you could just keep adding the same coupon over and over to bring the price down to zero, that would be unusual. Most coupons I've ever seen have a "limit one per purchase" usage. It sounds like you want to provide vouchers which we don't currently support but have in our request board. Please add a vote for that if you haven't done so already. http://requests.foxycart.com
  • I took care of the feedback for voucher which has a "remaining balance" issue. This is something that we'd eventually want.
    Just to make sure the multiple coupon issue is understood so let me provide a specific example.

So let's say we have 2 coupon sets.

Coupon Set 1
    Details: 1-10
    Number of Uses Allowed: Unlimited
    Number of Uses Allowed Per Code: 1
    Type: Discount by amount based on quantity
    Base Code: ABC
    Generated Codes:
    ABC1
    ABC2
    ABC3
    ABC4

Coupon Set 2
    Details: 1-10
    Number of Uses Allowed: Unlimited
    Number of Uses Allowed Per Code: 1
    Type: Discount by amount based on quantity
    Base Code XYZ
    Generated Codes:
    XYZ1
    XYZ2
    XYZ3
    XYZ4
    XYZ5

Scenario A: Does Not Work
    Use ABC1 and ABC2 for a single order. Entering ABC2 generated the message "This coupon has already been added to this order" Same base code.

Scenario B: Does Work
    Use ABC1 and XYZ1 for a total $20 discount. Different base codes.

Based on the text label "Number of uses allowed per code", I would think that the use of the exact same code is limited. However, the use of multiple variants with the same base code is permitted.

Given how vouchers are described now, I don't think this issue would be resolved. So that's why I'm providing a really detailed example. Hope that helps.

I don't really see this as a voucher enhancement. However, I do appreciate that it takes time to resolve such matters.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Based on the text label "Number of uses allowed per code", I would think that the use of the exact same code is limited. However, the use of multiple variants with the same base code is permitted.
    Fwiw, our original thinking was that the variants option would likely be used for mail merges and such, in which case you definitely wouldn't want somebody to collect a few codes and apply them together. So that's the logic.
    I took care of the feedback for voucher which has a "remaining balance" issue. This is something that we'd eventually want.
    Luke might correct me, but I believe a "voucher" is more a "free specific thing/product", like a voucher for 1 Product X, not more not less. I don't _think_ that a voucher would have any concept of a balance. But I could be wrong. Luke's more familiar with vouchers.

Gift certificates, on the other hand, would be like general purpose coupon codes with a balance, so that sounds more like what you're after?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yes, sorry, gift certificates make more sense here. We should probably also changing the wording to be 'uses per coupon' instead of coupon code to avoid the confusion.
  • Ah! I thought I had this working for a client and just today realized that you can't apply multiple codes from the coupon :( He's giving coupons for 1/2 the entry fee into a tournament, so two people can use two codes and reach the full entry fee price. Not sure what we're going to do now...
    Hi @McGee. I may be a little confused. You want or you don't want customers to combine coupons?
  • I want customers to be able to use multiple codes from the same coupon. Maybe a parameter that lets you choose how many codes from each coupon can be used on one item/order.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Right now it's either combinable or not combinable, right? Are you saying you'd like to see combinable up to X times (from 0 to ... say 10)? We want to be clear on requirements before we move on stuff or we end up building it too many times. I think someone else requested this once as well, but I'm not sure if it made it to our request board: http://requests.foxycart.com Would you mind adding it?
  • Sure I'll stick it on there in a minute.

Coupon 1
    Code #1: ABC1 ($10 off)
    Code #2: ABC2 ($10 off)
    Code #3: ABC3 ($10 off)

When checking out, you can add both codes ABC1 & ABC2 to the cart, but when adding ABC3 you'd get "Sorry, this product only allows a maximum of two coupons.". This is, as you said, due to the fact that the number of coupon codes (from the same coupon), is limited to X number. I guess this could serve as "vouchers" maybe? I feel like it needs to be thought out more to avoid any loop holes though but this is the general idea.

What I've done to solve my issue was create 6 coupons with 1 code each, that way buyers can up to 6 coupon codes to their cart. Only 2 are necessary to reach $0.00 so I can't see them adding anymore after seeing there's no balance. However, if they did add all 6 (each code is limited to 1 use), I imagine all 6 codes would be labeled as "unactive" after checkout?

... this is starting to get complicated.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. :) Thanks for your input.
    As of v0.7.0 a negative total shouldn't be possible, so multiple coupons may not be an issue. Luke may correct me if I'm wrong, and always test, but I think you'll be ok.
  • McGeeMcGee Member
    Here I am again.. creating 120 individual codes this time, grrr! I still wish there was a way to apply two coupon codes to a single product, instead of having to create two coupons. Time's a wasting; back to this monotonous work :(
  • McGeeMcGee Member
    OR! the option to upload an .XLS spreadsheet would be nice as well for the coupon creation process.
    Definitely hear you, loud and clear. I'm sorry for the time you're having to spend on this. It's on our radar, but if we don't tackle shipping improvements first I think angry mobs may come and cook us for dinner.

But we definitely do feel your pain. Thanks for letting us know.
  • mudmud Member
    I emailed support but also found this thread. Was this ever fixed?

I thought "combinable" meant you could combine any codes. I now have an issue that people are trying to redeem multiple coupon codes, but it is not allowing them to.
  • mudmud Member
    Since my store is live and people are trying to use codes -- I figure the only workaround at the moment is to manually add each code back as a separate coupon. Then, delete the code list of auto-generated ones.

Sound right?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey mud, sorry for the frustration. I think I understand what you're looking to accomplish here and it looks like we need a "combinable with X other codes for this coupon" option. Would that work? We asked previously for it to be added to our request board, but I don't see anything there for this. I actually see we created a ticket in our system on 02/26/2011 but it hasn't been assigned to a release version yet.
  • mudmud Member
    Yea I think that would work. The problem in management seems to be that some people would need to generate a lot of codes, under one coupon. Those codes need to work together if needed.

As mcgee said:

Coupon 1 - $10 off
    Code #1: ABC1
    Code #2: ABC2
    Code #3: ABC3

Some stores (like mine) need to be able to allow ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, etc. to be used TOGETHER.

I can definitely see how this can be tricky to understand and implement. Thanks.