JS and CSS - copying to local?

sheeleysheeley Member
in Help edited August 2007
There's a fairly noticable speed hit when loading any page on our site now that we've added the css and js files from foxycart. Is there any reason why they couldn't be copied to our site? I'm aware we'd have to be aware of when things change and copy new versions, but are there any other issues? It'd be cool if there were some sort of a little script that would do that automatically, which would be pretty simple... just check the For FoxyCart x.x line and copy to local. So, issues?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    There shouldn't be any issues at all, except for the potential issue with updating the file. My recommendation would be to set up a cron job to copy the files from FoxyCart every morning at 3am or something.

That'd actually be quite cool, and I've done the same thing with Google Analytics (for the same reason). If you need example code for a cron let me know. Please post back to the forum if you figure it out. I think it'd be a valuable addition to the wiki.
  • Glad to see there wouldn't be a real issue. I don't really have direct access to our server, I wonder if there will be a way to automate it via MODx somehow. Whatever happens, I'll post my solution. Eventually.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    I actually have a few variations on the theme of grabbing remote content, but none of them have any sort of caching built in... but you could call the snippets cached and you'd be ok. Then when you upgrade to a new version of FoxyCart, you'd just have to remember to clear your MODx cache and you'd be good to go.

Yeah, I think that'd work. If you want to see that stuff, let me know and I'll post it on our wiki or in the MODx resources section.
  • Sure, I'd like to see it. I don't know much about MODx caching yet so I'll try to soak up as much as I can.