FoxyCart v0.7.0 BETA. We need testers!

brettbrett FoxyCart Team
in Important News edited August 2010
Hello all.
We've just turned on access to v0.7.0 in your store settings. This has been much, much longer in coming than we'd anticipated, but there was a lot behind the scenes that needed to happen in order to revamp the subscriptions for 070. Also, we've been dealing with scaling out our systems over the past few months, which has been an "all hands on deck" situation much of the time.

All that said though, we're really excited about what this new functionality will offer, and what's coming next. The biggest things in v0.7.0 are:

* Much improved subscription flexibility. Can edit subscriptions via the API. Improved cancelation process. Easier updating via sub_token and updateinfo placeholders in receipt emails. Custom blocks and language strings included in receipt emails if a subscription is present. Neat stuff.

* PayPal Express Checkout subscriptions, synched with FoxyCart subscriptions.

* Link and Form Validation to prevent price spoofing. The neatest thing is we've build a PHP script to basically do it for you automatically (on entire HTML pages), so you get all the flexibility of FoxyCart, no data replication, but unmodifiable add-to-cart links and forms (that still allow for "open" inputs like textareas and quantity inputs and such.

* Rewritten foxycart.js that makes it much easier to set the FoxyCart session cookie at a subdomain or a subdirectory. Also much much easier to extend and add custom functionality like a different modal window. Replacing of Thickbox with Colorbox for the modal window, but it's crazy easy to swap that out for whatever you want. Also moved all included files like these to the CDN for faster pageloads.

* Filtering by just about anything for subscriptions and transactions in the admin and via the API. Also improved CSV export.

We'll be versioning off the documentation for FoxyCart from v0.7.0 and on, since almost everything in FoxyCart is versioned and maintaining a single set of documentation just gets weird.
http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/0.7.0/start

A few notes:
* We've been using v0.7.0 ourselves for over a week, and while we've found and fixed a few issues there will for sure be others. Please let us know if you see any strangeness.
* Because we've been using v0.7.0 ourselves, we believe that it's stable enough to be tested and rolled out on live stores IF you're willing to do some testing and keep an eye on things.
* We'd really love for people to help us test out the PayPal Standard subscription integration. That's a lot of new code and we want to get as many different people poking at it as we can.

Let us know on this thread if you have any questions. We're excited about the flexibility and power that this release brings.
Comments
  • Hi Brett,

I looked through the docs but don't see the subscription update details there yet. When do you think you'll be adding those? Really looking forward to taking advantage of some of that!

Sincerely,
    Matt
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Matt. Do you have any specific questions we could answer in the mean time? We've added more details to the api page along with XSD for subscription transaction details here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs/api As for modifying subscriptions in the admin, you just click edit and then click advanced edit to update the XML directly if you need to change the details of a subscription. Does that help?
  • Hi Luke,

We have a client currently using foxycart, and they're now asking us to add subscriptions with a lot of account upgrading/downgrading/cancellations possible. I thought some of these may make all that easier.

Sincerely,
    Matt
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    It definitely will. We've been using it for almost two weeks now to power FoxyCart billing and it's a huge improvement over our previous version regarding the management of subscriptions.
  • Hey Guys,
    Am in the process of upgrading my clients system, so thought I might as well try out 0.7.

I'm trying to set my templates but it doesn't seem to be pulling in the foxycart.js on the checkout page. What can I provide for troubleshooting?

Thx
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Joel. What are you using that file on the checkout page for? It actually shouldn't be included on the checkout or cart page because it can cause problems with links, forms, cookies and sessions. It's really just for your site. Previous versions of FoxyCart also strip out the foxycart_includes.js as well so that it wouldn't get added to the cart or checkout templates.
  • Hey Luke,
    Quick reply (as per usual) ;)

On 0.6 - there is a .js included which has jQuery and functionality for the State dropdown (and other DOM features) ... has this been replaced?

Thanks for the clarification. I can def. include jQuery myself on the Checkout page ... but thought it was weird that FC wasn't inserting ANY js on that page.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Can you whisper me a link? the jQuery and JavaScript should definitely be included in checkout.js (along with some other inline JavaScript). Do you have ^^checkout^^ in your template?
  • I was just looking over the documentation, and have a quick question for you.

If I have a custom remote domain, how do i link to the CDN?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Adam. I think you just include the full FoxyCart domain. So if your domain is "secure.example.com" then where the docs say YOURDOMAIN, just use secure.example.com.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited August 2010
    @joel: I think your custom JavaScript is referencing $ instead of jQuery. We don't use "$" because it can cause problems with prototype and other languages. Just change those "$" references to "jQuery" and you should be fine.
    If you open up firebug when you load up the checkout and you should see this error caused by your custom javascript file:
    Error: $ is not defined
    Source File: (removed)
    Line: 435

I was a bit confused at first because your custom file is actually called "foxycart.js" :)
  • Luke - ok, tried that.
    When I check firebug I don't see any FC js being added ... do you?
    It still errors with jQuery (because there's no jQuery being integrated from your js) ... ummmmm
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Ok, I'm just now seeing that... something isn't right. I'll keep looking into it and get back to you.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Ok, I see it now. A definite 070 bug. There's some regex being used to inject the FoxyCart javascript and header files in the right place and that regex is definitely failing for your checkout template. Not exactly sure why yet, still looking into it.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Looks to be related to js/cufon/cufon-yui.js. I tried your template without any of your header includes and it worked fine. Once I added that, it failed. We're looking into a fix.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    We think we know what the issue is (the size of your checkout template, not any specific cached file), but we aren't sure what the best solution will be for us at this time. We'll continue to look into this to see what the best fix will be.

(There may be an immediate fix, but we need to benchmark it as it could potentially impact performance system-wide.)
  • Oh, man, of course you guys would release this right after I finished configuring and styling my cart and checkout, with 1 day to spare before the site's ecommerce launch. Now I have to decide if I'll upgrade now, with a tight timeline, or later, with a live site.

I blame you guys for my deadline. ;-)

Also, nice work with 070, the improvements look nice.
  • Question: with the clever new cryptographic form validation, the documentation warns that a sneaky user could remove options despite the validation. What do you guys recommend for the "weight" option, since removing it will set it to the category default, yes? This could make a big difference if my default is 2lbs and a 16lb item has its weight removed.

Am I understanding this correctly? What would you suggest?

(obviously this situation is still better than in v060, where sneaky users could modify just about anything)
    For now we recommend what's (kind of) described in the wiki, which is to set values high then reduce them. So set the default to 16 and override it with 2, rather than the other way around. That way if anybody does attempt any tomfoolery they'd only be shooting themselves in the foot.
  • Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
  • With the coupons being updated, once we upgrade to .7, will we need to edit or modify our existing coupons in a store?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey panhead490. You should only have to update based on what is in the change logs. The coupon change we made basically to allow you to explicitly set the behavior you want for both coupons and category/line item discounts. Previous versions were confusing because coupons and line item discounts would default to different behaviors. I don't think we've changed those defaults, we've just provided a way to override them now as described here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/getting_started/adding_links_and_forms#discounts
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Update: just rolled out a small fix to the checkout page so that global taxes show up correctly on page load. They were displaying in the cart table but they weren't actually being applied to the order total display in either the cart or the shipping and subtotal section. This was tested with and without multiship and seems to be working correctly now. This was probably not noticed because as soon as you input a valid country, state and city, the normal ajax functionality would update the taxes anyway.
  • Hi guys,
    I see you've released 0.7.0 - did you find a solution (or have a recommendation) for the caching size issue I found earlier?
    Thx
    Hi Joel.
    There are some caching improvements in the queue but they didn't make it to v0.7.0 official. The potential solution to the caching size issue you discovered, however, may need to be a full system-wide config change so we're exploring a few other options before we make such a change. We're also reworking things a bit for 0.7.1 to handle product thumbnails (images in the cart) and our CDN and such, which will give us some flexibility in terms of how we avoid caching certain massive js libraries in the first place.
  • Hi Brett,
    Thanks for the info. So should I just do a trial/error to find what the limit is? I guess I'll just cut out my cufon file ... what would be awesome, is if it allowed https linking. So you could link out to legitimate secure files without having to load them in FC caching system. :)
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @joeltaylor, if you link to a file as https, the automagicache won't have to cache that file as it is already secured.
    And to clarify: Most of the time this is an issue is with giant libraries like Mootools or Prototype or Dojo, which Google hosts. They don't say it, but you can just make any of those hosted URLs https and you're good to go.
  • @fc_adam - ahhh! I didn't know about that, sweet I can add quick a few things to my own secure server and avoid the static content caching. Perfect! And Brett your tip is good too. :) I'll keep that in mind when I use Google Fonts.