mini basket item counter

pixillionsaulpixillionsaul Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited April 2008
Hi Guys,

after a looooong wait for Paypal pro UK, our client finally got it through, so going live is pretty damn close, just a quick question they have:

The mini basket only counts items once, regardless of how many of the same item is ordered. Is it possible to change this, or is it an inherent feature of how the cart software runs?

Cheers

Saul
Comments
  • bushybushy Member
    pix, I reported this one a few weeks back. It's an issue in 0.3.2 (works fine in earlier versions). Until it's fixed, I removed the item quantity from the mini cart so that the cart displays the monetary total of the order only.
  • Ah fair enough, yeah I'll probably do that too, thanks for the reply
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, we're sorry about that. You could use the JSON if you really wanted a workaround for the time being though.
    Glad PP WPP UK finally got set up for your client though.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We'll change this in the next version. We almost just went ahead and changed it now (which we may still do), but we don't like changing functionality on existing systems unless it's a major obvious bug. This one started as just a difference in opinion between "item" count and "quantity" count. More and more it starting to sound like a "bug" though... so we may just go ahead and change it in 0.3.2.

All in favor?
  • bushybushy Member
    Luke:

I vote "bug"! To me, if I have 5 copies of Britney Spears' Guide to Good Parenting in my shopping cart, that's 5 items in my cart, not 1. And looking at major sites like amazon, llbean, or whatever, that looks like the industry standard. Giving a count of unique items may be more useful to some types of businesses, but I think those businesses would be the exception to the norm.

I understand not wanting to change things in between releases. For me, removing the item count from my mini basket solved the problem in the short term. Personally I don't mind waiting until 0.3.3 if you guys have more pressing matters.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Dude. Britney Spears' Guide to Good Parenting... hilarious.
  • Yeah I vote for bug too, waiting till the next release is fine. Think I've found a new book to pass the time anyway...Chapter 1, the basics of shaving your head and going mental.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Ok, we'll call it a bug. And what do we do with bugs? We fix 'em!

Just updated the code for 0.3.2 which now updates #fc_quantity with the quantities of all the products added together, not just the number of product line items in the cart. Be sure to tell your friends how foxy we are.

Enjoy.

Bushy, if web development doesn't work out for you, I'm sure you could do well as a writer. Keep up the comedy. Bugs are more fun to fix when they are funny.
  • bushybushy Member
    edited April 2008
    Luke. I have indeed told my webmaster friends how foxy you guys are. And everyone whose had a look luvs the cart. Lots of comments on the cool load transition, the clean look, and the live shipping feature. Keep up the good work. :-)