The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

iPad/iPhone Browser Issue

jaushmanjaushman Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited August 2010
I have a high volume client that sells accessories for Apple products. Some of their most popular products are accessories for the iPad (I agree with Brett, ridiculous name). We're seeing a significant number of users reporting they are not able to checkout using iPads and iPhones. Once they click "Buy Now" they receive an error message rather than their cart. After more digging I found that when using Mobile Safari everything works fine. It's when users follow a link from within an app that uses a built-in browser (Twitter, InstaPaper, Reeder, etc) that the error message occurs (see error message below).

I'm not sure how you guys are doing browser detection but I know that UIWebView (the class iOS developers use to put a browser within their app) uses a different User Agent string than Mobile Safari. Here are the two different User Agents:

UIWebView User Agent:
"Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18"

and Mobile Safari:
"Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16"

The error message received when using in app browsers on iPhone and iPad:
"We're sorry...
We have detected that your browser (moz) is a little too old to safely use our checkout process. We apologize for the inconvenience, but in order to take full advantage of modern browser security features, we ask that you upgrade your browser by using one of the following links. They are all free, and it should only take a few minutes. Link to Firefox, Link to Opera, Link to IE."

Hoping this isn't too complex of a fix. Thanks for your help.

Josh
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Josh, thanks for posting. We've seen similar issues related to browser detection in the past (and we know we need to upgrade our browser detection setup) but this is the first I've heard of it actually affecting live customers as opposed to testing systems.

We'll be looking into this as a priority so please feel free to bump this thread if you don't hear from us within a few days.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    I just added this to our browser detection script. We'll test a little and push it to production soon. Thanks so much for letting us know about it.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    It should be out now. Please let us know if you're still running into trouble.
  • edited June 2011
    My client has just informed me that using iPad the basket doesn't seem to show the scroll bars (which I guess might prevent users getting to the business end - card and submit). I'm afraid I don't have an iPad so wondered if anyone else has seen this issue? I'm going to ask if he can bring his iPad to the next meeting so I'll let you know what I find...
    I would expect ipad uses Safari so I'd be surprised to see any problems.

thanks
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Can you whisper me the site in question? I noticed the other day that the cart within the colorbox doesn't scroll, but I didn't see other problems with scrolling.

What probably would make sense would be a mobile version of the cart using JSONP. That'd be pretty slick, and totally doable.