One form for online donations?

AntonLAntonL Member
in Help edited April 2008
We have recently set up an online donations feature (using FoxyCart) for a non-profit client. At present, this involves a three-step process: 1) add 'product' to cart (choose donation amount and an optional recurring payment frequency), 2) view cart details, and 3) checkout.

The client now wants to roll this into one step by combining all the donation and checkout fields on a single form.

I am just wondering if this is possible with FoxyCart and, if so, how it might be achieved?

Thanks,
Anton
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    You could definitely skip step 2 by adding the cart=checkout parameter to your form. (It'd be an input with name="cart" value="checkout".)

As far as combining step 1 and 3... you could conceivably build your own fields and use those to prepopulate the checkout page, but the checkout still needs to load the checkout, so it wouldn't really do much. Also, you can't prepopulate the credit card information.

What I'd do would be to make the first form very clearly a "Step 1 of 2". Really nice and forward. Then the modify the checkout to be a seamless "Step 2 of 2". The closer you get your checkout to match the site, the less of an issue I'd see it being.

How would that work?
  • AntonLAntonL Member
    Thanks Brett, that does help. We'll probably go with your suggested approach.
  • AntonLAntonL Member
    Hi Brett,

We have gone with your recommended solution and we are now working to customise the checkout page so that it is more donations-specific. To achieve this, we have switched to the more basic checkout page template you offer and we are changing some of the text so that it refers specifically to "donations" (rather than "products", "shipping", "carts" and "shopping").

However, the same client will also want to offer 'normal' products and services elsewhere on the same site. So I guess the next obvious question will be this: How do we offer the stripped-down, donations-specific process as well as a typical "add-to-cart / view cart / checkout" process for other goods and services?

Thanks,
    Anton
  • AntonLAntonL Member
    Brett, just adding one more question on this:

How do we change certain bits of text on the donations-specific checkout?

For e.g., there is a link at the top with the text "Cancel and continue shopping". This should really be something like "Cancel donation and continue browsing" (or something like that). How do we change the text?

Same thing applies to the "Complete your purchase" button at the bottom of the form. We need this to read "Complete your donation" (or similar).

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Anton
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    The ability to customize the text will be in the next version which will also allow for language customizations.

As for multiple checkout pages, currently that can only be done with:
    a) a lot of javascript
    b) two separate foxycart stores.

Obviously, we prefer b... :)

but to do a, you could parse the JSON cart object and check it for various items (i.e. just donations or not) and then adjust the content of the page with some simple JQuery.

Hope that helps.
  • AntonLAntonL Member
    Hi Luke,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Roughly how long do you expect it will be until the next version is released?

If we used two separate stores, I presume the returning donors' accounts would not be recognised in the shopping checkout and vice versa?

Anton
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, using 2 separate stores would get awkward because they don't share carts. This request has come up a few times, though, so it may be time for a tutorial on the wiki.

The better, but more difficult (if you don't know js/jQuery) solution would be to change things around with javascript based on the contents of the cart.

We're hard at work on the next version, but our policy to to avoid public estimations for release dates, because we're almost always wrong. But the new version will allow you to change the text once, not for multiple situations, so you're probably still going to need some js if you want 1 store with multiple display options.

Let us know which direction you want to go in and we'll see if we can get you started on the right track.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I just had an interesting thought... originally we designed the data model in such a way to allow customers to potentially be shared across stores. We moved away from this for obvious reasons, but now I'm seeing a potential for a group of stores to be "linked" as far as their customer base goes. Interesting idea... if you want it, vote for it: http://wiki.foxycart.com/feature_requests