The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Let user select 3 of 10 items to purchase and download

sccr410sccr410 Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited October 2010
I want to convert a site currently just selling each item individually through PayPal into a site that lets users select 3 of the 10 available items as a package to purchase and then download.

Is this possible with FoxyCart?
Comments
  • pixelchutespixelchutes Member
    edited October 2010
    Absolutely! You can integrate using single line-items, or via custom "bundling"...whatever is easiest to implement into your current site, FoxyCart can handle. You may need to introduce some custom JavaScript via pre/post-processing depending on your requirements, but based on the information provided I don't see any limitations with your scenario.
  • Any links to documentation on how to do this? I cannot find anything on how to make custom bundles for FoxyCart.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited October 2010
    Can you share your current order form, or an example of your desired new order form? That'd be helpful. There are a few ways to approach this, but it kind of depends on how exactly you want it to look and function.

Also, is it 3 and only 3, or minimum 3? Can you do 3 of the same thing or only 1 of each (maximum)? That'll impact the types of inputs you use in your add-to-cart form.
  • sccr410sccr410 Member
    edited October 2010
    We don't have anything setup yet for this new model. Currently we only sell the items individually using a combination of PayPal Website Payments Basic and Fetch.

Users should be able to buy the items individually ($14.95), or by a 3-pack at a discounted rate ($34.95). Once done, the user can then download the files.

I've tried to find a way to have discounts applied automatically once a user adds 3 or more items to cart and reduce the cost of each map to $11.65 ($34.95 / 3 = $11.65). Haven't been able to find a simple shopping cart system that will do this. So far my only option seems to be to setup a full e-commerce solution which is what I want to avoid for this small site.

Users can buy more than 3 states and each state after they hit 3 should be at the discounted rate of $11.65 each.

This is for www.goldmapsonline.com - they sell digital Google Earth files which outline areas available for gold panning.

Ideally we present a list of the 12 available states, users simply check off which states they want to buy. As they check states off, there is a price box that updates with the total. Once they hit 3 states, the price per state would drop to the $11.65. Once they are done selecting states they click "Checkout" and they go through the checkout process and pay through PayPal. Users don't need quantities for each state, obviously they don't need multiple copies of the digital files - it's either 0 or 1.

So far the only option I can come up with uses a lot of JavaScript to create a custom product SKU based on the states selected and make every possible combination a separate downloadable file. Obviously with 12 states, there are A LOT of combinations and would be ridiculous to do so.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    What I'd do is this:
    * Each product should get a quantity_max=1. More details here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/cheat_sheet
    * Set a category quantity discount by price based on quantity of {repeat|3-3.30}. The "repeat" flag would the discount to be re-applied whenever a multiple of 3 is reached. More details here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/discounts

Hooray math time! Groups of 3 uniques with 12 total = 12*11*10 = 1320 combinations! Yeah you definitely don't want to do that ;)

Does that help? I think that'd get you what you want.