The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Local pickup/taxes

oskayoskay Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited October 2010
Our store is now in a position to be able to allow local pickup as an option. People often say to us "I'll be in your city this week, can I come by and pick up an order?" Sounds good.

But then, it looks like those people will enter their address, and-- not having a local address -- won't get charged sales tax. Do you have any suggestion of a "safe" way to do local pickup that always charges sales tax?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    That's an interesting question. What you could do would be to force a "shipping" address of your own location if local pickup is selected, since taxes are based on the shipping not the billing address. Perhaps a bit weird, but might be the best approach. Thoughts?
  • If that were available as an option, I'd certainly select it. Sounds sane enough. The whole idea of having a separate "shipping address" does not make sense in the context of local pickup.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I'll create a ticket for this and see what can be done about it on a future version, but I'm thinking if that option is selected we could force the shipping address information to match up with the store information (behind the scenes) for tax calculation purposes. Seems like a sound approach to me but I'm not sure how much tinkering will be involved. If you really need this, you could try forcing it with some custom javascript in the checkout template.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    but I'm thinking if that option is selected we could force the shipping address information to match up with the store information (behind the scenes) for tax calculation purposes.
    I'd be a little concerned about that since it'd basically look like the customer was paying tax when they shouldn't be, especially for historical purposes.

Not saying it's a bad idea, since it's clearly kind of odd and wrong as is, but I think how the tax is communicated would be an interesting issue.
  • If the order confirmation says "local pickup" on it, I think that it will be perfectly clear why tax is being charged, even under future examination.
  • Brett, I'm not sure I follow your logic. I agree with oskay, if the customer should select "customer pickup", it's logical that the shipping information should default to the store address since the shipping location is the store location. In response, the order would assume the proper taxes for the store address/shipping location of the store itself. Is there a straight forward way to accomplish this, or do we need to write custom JS?

Thanks.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @quadland,

Custom javascript is your best bet at this stage.