The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

exporting transactions in 0.7

mjwallamjwalla Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited November 2010
Hello again Foxycart, :)

After recently upgrading to 0.7, we are no longer able to export all transactions.

On the transactions page (after applying a few filters), it only displays 30 transactions per page, and allows us to download only those 30 transactions, but there is no way to download all the transactions in that filter.

Any ideas?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey mjwalla. I think we upped this to 60 transactions in v071 (yes... I just double checked and we did) because of similar requests from other customers. The reason you can't download everything at once is that we have to find the right balance between performance and usability. Until we have batch report processing in place, we can't let people pull down years of data through the admin because it puts too much of a burden on our servers. If you have a need to grab all of your data in an automated way, the best way to go about that would be to use the API and paginate through the results.

Hope that helps.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Out of curiosity, how many would you be looking to export at any given time?
  • Hi Brett and Luke,

Thanks for your replies.

Its hard to specify a number of how many we need to download at a time, but this is clearly a valid use-case that I would love to see implemented.

Reporting is critical for us, for example, if we need to generate a list of transactions over the last 6 months for people who donated over a certain amount, and to a specific donation campaign, then we should be able to download that report. We are able to generate these reports using the filters, but when we click on "Export Transactions," it does not allow us to download the entire list of transactions, just the ones being displayed on the screen.

Expecting a customer to use the APIs just to generate a report, imo, is overkill.

Please advice.

Thanks,
  • Hi Luke/Brett,

We generally export all our transactions daily. It is a bit of a pain to iterate through 10 screens when we have 300 orders. Maybe you could limit the history to N transactions per screen or 1 weeks worth of transactions. That would at least allow us to download a day or a weekend's worth of activity but prevent us from burdening your servers with a request for 6m worth of history.

Of course we should switch to the API, but we're just not there yet.
  • I just was going back to look at some reports and found the same need, that is to have a way to get a specific range exported without pagination. Would love to have a drop box type of thing, fire the report range and filters to the system and later come back for the finished file to be downloaded. Zip it as an option too ;)

Sandy
    v0.7.1 has upped the limit to 300. @sganz, will that get you what you need?
  • It should go a long way in helping!

Anything needed to be done to go from 7.0 to 7.1, I didn't see anything other then switching in admin.

Keep reporting on the list of features ;)

Sandy
    Unless you're doing very specific stuff you probably don't need to do anything to upgrade:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/0.7.1/start

We're a little behind in our weekly changelog, and we're continuing to sneak bug fixes into v0.7.1, but we'll get more details soon.