The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Populating Custom Field from a Cookie

BillDABillDA Member
in Help edited November 2010
Hey guys, need a little help here. I'm trying to track what ad campaigns people came from by setting cookies when they arrive on my site. I want to capture this information with each order so I can see which campaigns are converting. Setting the cookies are no problem, but I need to know how to retrieve them with FoxyCart and store them. I'm assuming the best way to do this is with a custom field that gest populated from the cookie using PHP.

My site is at http://kpelements.com/buy - what's the best way to do this? I could use a hidden custom form field on that page that gets passed into the checkout (checkout=true), or is there a way to read the cookie during the checkout process and stick it into a hidden field that will end up in my XML?

Thanks for the advice,
Bill
Comments
  • Just wanted to post and say I figured this out. Initially had some trouble because I couldn't access or set the cookie cross domain (set on kpelements.com and tried to read on kpelements.foxycart.com). I ended up just reading it in with PHP as a hidden ("h:") custom field on my own domain, that I then pass to FoxyCart in my form.

Thanks!
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi Bill. Glad you got it figured out, and that's definitely the recommended solution as well. Set it with an h: (can even set it automatically in the background via JSONP if you need), then pull it from the JSON on the cart and you're all ready to go.