The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Free Domestic Shipping

jaushmanjaushman Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited December 2010
I currently have our live store setup with free domestic shipping. Recently I've noticed an increase in orders to customers in Puerto Rico and Guam. These customers are able to obtain free ground shipping when they list the United States as their country. However, if they list Puerto Rico or Guam as both their state and country they receive standard UPS domestic shipping rates, FedEx International Rates, and free shipping is not an option.

My preference is to restrict free domestic shipping to the continental 48 United States. This would exclude Alaska, Hawaii, and all US territories.

I've read in other threads that I could use JavaScript to sniff for the country/state/territory and hide the free shipping option but as I got into it writing the script it seemed kludgy to work out the possible combinations and the various billing/shipping fields.

Hiding the free shipping options would work well for Alaska and Hawaii, but my tests with Guam and Puerto Rico show that it leaves my customers with only FedEx International Economy to choose from. That is the most expensive of all of our shipping services and will most likely lead to an increase in cart abandonment for those customers. I need to make our UPS options for 2Day and Overnight available to those states/territories outside of the continental US. Any advice? Is a JavaScript hack my only option?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited December 2010
    Any advice? Is a JavaScript hack my only option?
    Unfortunately, at this point it probably is. Our next major release should see a fairly complete rebuild of our shipping functionality, at which point you'll have other options, but for now the options are a little more limited.

It might be easier to take an array of 48 contiguous states and only leave the free shipping available if it matches. If you're worried about the other combos, you could just do it the other way.

I'm a little confused about this though:
    but my tests with Guam and Puerto Rico show that it leaves my customers with only FedEx International Economy to choose from. That is the most expensive of all of our shipping services and will most likely lead to an increase in cart abandonment for those customers. I need to make our UPS options for 2Day and Overnight available to those states/territories outside of the continental US.
    Do you mean that if they choose Guam or Puerto Rico as their countries that the domestic UPS options aren't available?
  • Sorry...my post was a little confusing. You're correct, though. If Guam or Puerto Rico are used as the country then the shipping options returned are Free Ground and Fed Ex International.

Luke posted in another thread (http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3720&page=1#Item_4) that v071 was updated so that "if someone selects one of those US Territories as a country it automatically resets things as US and uses the country value as a state value." Did that make it into v071? I've tested the new store version but I haven't seen this working. That would solve at least part of my question. Then I could use an array, like you mentioned, to sniff for states/territories that I want to remove free shipping on.

The fog is slowly lifting. Thanks for your feedback.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey jaushman. So sorry for the confusion there, but it appears we never did actually push that change to checkout.js out to our production servers. It was in our test environment and fell through the cracks. I just pushed it out now so you should be seeing it working.