The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

API vs Datafeed

itisnot_meitisnot_me Member
in Help edited December 2010
Im looking into regular products. not subscriptions.

what would be the difference between the the API and and datafeed. When would i use the api over the datafeed and the other way around.

To my knowledge from reading the api briefly you would need to call the api quite often to keep the customer list up-to-date
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    It's really a matter of which direction you're going. The datafeed gets sent to you instantly when there's a transaction. The API you can call whenever you'd like. The XML is _almost_ the same between it all though, with the exception of a <transactions> node in the datafeed and some API calls.

So to answer your question: You'd use whichever makes the most sense for what you're doing :) If you want to get into specifics we're happy to discuss.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Since you're trying to keep your customer list up to date, I'd recommend using the DataFeed. That way your list will be updated after every completely transaction.
  • well it wasnt for the project that i have been doing. thinking about another project.

Well it makes more sense to use datafeed in alot of instances. The api seems to be useful for some things but not as much as the datafeed.