Allow cart when no javascript

ChuckTrukkChuckTrukk Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited June 2008
So I need a way to not have folks go to the foxycart page if they try to 'add to cart' without js on.

[ulist]
[li]Step 1: (in MODx)[/li]
[li]have the form submit to the current page[/li]
[li]have jquery switch the form action to foxycart (so fc works)[/li]
[li]if they post to the current page (means js is off), show a warning that says js must be enabled. You can call here to make your purchase over the phone[/li]
[/ulist]

----

[ulist]
[li]Step 2: PHP Post[/li]
[li]if js is off, then add the information to cart, and create hidden fields in the 'show_cart' chunk[/li]
[li]provide checkout button that posts it all at once to foxycart[/li]
[/ulist]

For step 2: this would require a feature request:
- foxycart checkout page to use the same methods as step 1 (ie plain post if js is off. And regular ajaxiness if js is on.)
- to know how to manually post to fc.

Is there any plans for non-js fc use? Is there a non-packed foxycart-include.js file?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    You know what's funny is that I was going to build this for a site that's launching on Tuesday.

I was thinking of option 1, except instead of submitting to the current page, have it submit to a page that says "Hey, turn on js, or give us a call to order." That way you don't have to deal with form processing.

A non-packed foxycart_include file is available if you look at the source of the foxycart_includes. It links to what's inside.

There are definitely plans for a non-js FC checkout, but it's not nearly as requested as you might think. (Like, in a year, there have been maybe 5 people that have even asked.) It's definitely something we'd feel good about doing, but we believe (and have anecdotal evidence to support) that the FoxyCart checkout is so streamlined that conversions still go up, even without a js option. I know, it's not ideal, but it's what we have right now. As always, vote for it if you want it: http://wiki.foxycart.com/feature_requests
  • That is a simpler way. I think I like the product page to be in front of them when they order tho.

I definitely agree that the fc helps conversion and stop shopping cart abandonment. But if you've got 20 purchases a month, and 1 a month leaves because js is off. That's 5% of sells you miss. If it's a bigger store- it makes a difference. I just use a noscript tag now to show you must use js here's how.

That option isn't for feature requests. Can it be added?
    Yeah, it's a wiki, so go ahead and add it.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Pro: just curious, are those real no-js cart abandonment numbers or hypothetical ones?

I've been surprised how many systems now-adays just assume you have JS going. With Google, AJAX, JSON, Yahoo toolkits, etc... it seems like the future is becoming more and more javascript friendly. Time will tell I guess.
  • They're hypothetical numbers. I've got a client who tells me a person is sent to foxycart once a month or so (even tho it says you must use foxycart). And I think it's just a hard sell for bigger companies that either:
    - 1. people are sent to the foxycart page
    - 2. they're almost guaranteed to lose some online orders (for bigger stores). Tho they can call. And it might be worth it to have the one step setup. What numbers do you guys have for how much abandonment decreased using foxy?
    We don't have hard numbers at this point, but lots of anecdotal evidence.

A non-js fallback is clearly something that's desirable. If you're dealing with any number of orders, it will be an issue. How big an issue depends on your target market and etc., but the possibility of lost sales is there.

As far as sending the user back to FoxyCart with the non-js instructions, that's kind of leftover functionality from the dawn of time. Nobody's even mentioned it (ever, as far as I know), but it's not quite as foxy as it could be. The workaround described above would be a step in the right direction, so we'll start there and see how things progress.
    @ProWebscape
    (It's odd to call you that when I actually know your name, but I suppose it's good netiquette? Your name's a lot easier to type ;) )

(Also odd is ending a parenthetical comment with a smiley face. Do you do another closing paren or not? Ah, the confusion.)

Anyway, have you done this yet? I need it for a site I'm helping launch Tuesday so I'll be whipping it up if you haven't already. Let me know. If you haven't done it yet I'll do it and throw it on the wiki.
  • go ahead and call me chuck/charlie.

I haven't done it yet, so that'd be great. Yeah throw it up on the wiki.
    Wow well that took all of like 2 minutes. I love jQuery.

Basic idea is this:
    ... ok added to the wiki: http://wiki.foxycart.com/faqs#redirect_to_a_custom_javascript_required_page

I didn't really expect it to only be 2 lines of code, but I think that's all that's necessary. (Hooray jQuery.)
    Dangit, it's not that simple for the links. I'll update that page with better code shortly.
    Ok updated. That's better.