Campaign Monitor - Opt in

mbowzeylombowzeylo Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited June 2008
I'm in the process of integrating Campaign Monitor into my customer's check-out. Everything I can find about integrating Campaign Monitor leads me to believe that every customer that completes their transaction online will be added to the mailing list. While this does fall within CAN-SPAM regulations, I would really like to give the customer the ability to opt-in.

Basically I would like to have a "Subscribe to our newsletter" box, checked by default, but give them the ability to un-check it, and opt-out, if they so choose. Can any one give me some direction on how I can accomplish this with FoxyCart and the CampaignMonitor API. I'm sure it's probably pretty simple, (and in the end I'll look like the fool), but right now I'm kinda stumped. Basically I think I need something like... if unchecked, then bypass the Campaign Monitor script?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    It's definitely on the simple side of the fence, but only if you're familiar with all the different pieces.

The MailChimp code (http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration) has this functionality, I believe. Does that help, or do you need a bit more help figuring it out?

As far as adding the checkbox goes: http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:checkout:customfields

If you need more help just let us know.
  • Hey Brett... this is perfect, just what I was looking for. I'm not a php programmer but I know enough to be lame, so I suspect I should be able to put it together. Seems simple enough.

Thanks for pointing me the right way.
    Cool. Let me know if you need help with any of the pieces.
    Should have mentioned: http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=403

Check my post there with details about how to test things. It'll drive you crazy if you try to test by running transactions over and over and waiting for the datafeed to process and then checking the error log.
    You shouldn't for the CM code... I think you'd be getting a definite error if that was the problem.
  • When using FoxEE for integration into ExpressionEngine, if we switch the foxycart xml data feed to the php script mentioned for Campaign Monitor, how will this effect our checkout processing/data feeds back to EE? Will they still work? Do we need a separate xml feed call for this CM integration? Any help you can give would be great. Also, will any of this be effected if we implement the SSO feature?

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Hi Shawn.
    If you move the XML datafeed URL to a different script then it _won't_ be going to FoxEE, which will obviously be a problem as far as FoxEE is concerned.

I'm not sure if FoxEE has any hooks built in, but perhaps ask in their forums. You'd need to pipe off the CM code as part of the FoxEE XML processing.

Or, alternately, you'd need to process the XML with the CM script, then send it off to FoxEE afterwards for FoxEE to process. The key is that both pieces need the XML, but FoxyCart will only send it once, to one endpoint.