The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Using Foxy for an online portal/dashboard

cfncfn Member
in Help edited June 2008
Situation:
Its a site where people buy a monthly subscription, then get access to an online dashboard/portal thing that a friend and I are developing.

My thoughts on a solution:
Set up an item using Foxycart, as a 2-item package (first month + subscription).

The first month would be set up as a special category, charge the first month of $15 right away, and give them an activation link in their receipt email.

The subscription would start 30 days afterward, and be billed $15 monthly.

The only problem I see is:
If someone doesn't pay, or stops paying, or bounces their card, etc. is it correct I'll have to monitor that and manually deactivate their dashboard account with us?

Thanks!!
John
Comments
  • cfncfn Member
    Hmm... I just realized that won't work.

If the "link" isn't dynamic... they could use the link multiple times and open multiple accounts.
    I don't think there's a way to make it a one-time-use link...

Brett, how do you handle activations for new accounts for FoxyCart? any suggestions I could learn from?

John
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Do you need 2 products? Why not just a single subscription?

You can use the XML datafeed to process new subscriptions and grant access to the appropriate user (or create the user then, in whatever system you're using). The way you could do it is set an expiration date for the user. Every time a successful subscription goes through, it updates the expiration date. If the user cancels or anything, the user's permission expires and you could handle it from there (perhaps with a link to update their information using &cart=updateinfo).

Does that sound good?
  • cfncfn Member
    From the sound of it I think that will be great. I'm sending the idea to my programming partner and we'll talk about it from here.

Thanks Brett!

John