PayPal Only Shop

intandemintandem Member
in Help edited February 2011
I am sorry if this has been asked elsewhere but I could not find the exact answer I was looking for.

I used FoxyCart once before but in a scenario where the client has a third-party payment gateway and merchant account.

I am now looking to use it again but in a PayPal only scenario. I have set up the test shop and only ticked the PayPal option. However, it seems to me that when the user is brought through to the PayPal screen, they either need to log in to their PayPal account or set one up if they don't have one. Where is the option to pay by credit card which is usually offered in the PayPal checkout I have with other eCommerce websites using PayPal-generated buttons?

My client wants to use the full features of PayPal, i.e. customers can pay by credit card through the PayPal checkout or use their PayPal account. Am I overlooking something or does the FoxyCart PayPal option mean just that, PayPal account only and for credit card payments it has to be another payment gateway?? That would be very disappointing. I am sure I am doing something wrong? Help!
Comments
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    @itandem -

When the user is directed to the PayPal screen, there should be an option on the right that says "Don't have a PayPal Account? Pay with your debit or credit card as a PayPal Guest." If, for some reason, the older version of the PayPal cart is loading for your customers, the link for guest checkout is on the bottom right.

If you are currently testing in the Sandbox, guest checkout is not supported there, as far as I am aware.

Regards,
    Lance
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Also worth noting: The ability to pay through PayPal without logging in or creating an account varies according to a few things:
    * I think there's a setting in your PayPal account itself that can impact it. Off hand I'm not sure where, but if you can't find it let me know and I'll take a look.
    * Lots of other stuff PayPal doesn't specify, but includes things like...
    ** Cookies (like if you have a cookie indicating that you're a PayPal user, it might want you to login)
    ** Country of seller. Some countries don't allow "guest" checkout on PayPal.
    ** Country of buyer (as determined by GeoIP, I imagine).

That's according to what we've learned, at least. We've looked into this in the past when we first added PayPal Express Checkout support, because some users weren't able to get the guest mode no matter what we did. It actually ended up being a bug on PayPal's side of things that we reported and heard back a while later was fixed, so hooray for finding and fixing bugs.

But in most cases you _should_ have that option. Tbh, I'm not sure about the sandbox like Lance mentioned, but that could be it too.
  • Well, I was testing within a sandbox email account, so perhaps that's it at this stage anyway. However, how can I test without a sandbox account? In FoxyCart, when I set up a test store and tick only for Paypal purchases, it asks for a sandbox email account, no alternative. So how can I check whether the eventual PayPal screen will be correct whilst having a test store? I am sending out a proposal to a client and need to be pretty sure that FoxyCart will give me the solution before I propose it to them? Although I suppose going by what you're saying in your replies, I can be confident enough that it will be there in a live environment?

Thanks for your help as always.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Funny that this came across my twitter feed late last night after I responded: http://bandcamp.com/buying_without_paypal
    Well, I was testing within a sandbox email account, so perhaps that's it at this stage anyway. However, how can I test without a sandbox account? In FoxyCart, when I set up a test store and tick only for Paypal purchases, it asks for a sandbox email account, no alternative. So how can I check whether the eventual PayPal screen will be correct whilst having a test store?

Ultimately, nobody can guarantee how a production system will respond without actually testing on the production system. (It's a bummer, but it's somewhat unavoidable that live systems will error in different ways than dev systems.) PayPal's sandbox environment is _very_ thorough and beefy (much more so than most), but the only way to be 100% is to try it with your customer's actual PayPal account. Because the live v dev distinction is the only difference between paid and unpaid FoxyCart accounts, you can't enter a live account until your FoxyCart account is paid. If for some reason there's a problem we definitely can refund your client, but if the guest checkout with PayPal doesn't work with FoxyCart it's unlikely it will work with anything else.

Again though: If your client's PayPal account is "normal" and in the US (or most other countries like Canada, Australia, the EU, etc.) you shouldn't have a problem. If you _do_, just let us know. Does that help?
  • intandemintandem Member
    edited April 2011
    Hi guys - I am bumping this up because this web design project has finally started and I am now at a stage where I need to make FoxyCart work. I am testing it for the moment with my own PayPal account. It's a verified business account and the Website Payments Preferences is set to 'On' for PayPal Account Optional. However, I am still getting the page with Login or Set Up Account only, no option to chose credit card entry. The shop is based in Ireland where this option for PayPal is the norm. I just wanted to check back with you to see whether I must switch the FoxyCart shop live and start paying in order to complete my testing (as mentioned in your post above) or can the problem lie elsewhere?

Ok, I couldn't really wait and had to test this out, so I went ahead, subscribed and yes, it's working. I now have the option to enter credit card details directly!
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    @intandem -

Just to clarify, is your issue resolved now?

Is there anything outstanding that needs to be addressed?

Lance
  • Yes, it's resolved. So the situation is that without a paid FoxyCart subscription (Test Server), only the Login/Add New Paypal account screen comes up, but with a paid subscription (Live Server) the Login/Enter Credit Card Details screen comes up, which is what I was looking for (big sigh of relief because I would have had to find a completely different shopping cart solution otherwise!!).

Carolin