The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Subscriptions Ecommerce in Google Analytics

in Bugs & Feature Requests edited February 2011
Is it possible for Google Analytics to track subscription ecommerce?

Right now it only tracks the very first purchase made, it would be awesome if it could continue to track subscriptions so I could more accurately see how much income I've made from different advertising campaigns, etc.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Jesse. That's a great question that we'll have to get back to you on. Currently all the google analytics stuff is included in the receipt page but with subscriptions there is no receipt page... so, yeah... that's a problem. We'll talk it over and see if there's any chance of making this work. Bump this thread if you don't hear from us in a few days.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Interesting, for sure. I'm not sure what the best approach would be on this, or if it'd actually work without some trickiness. The issues I see are:

1) GA is a client-side thing, using javascript in the browser. When subscriptions run, they aren't run anywhere near a browser. While we could conceivably make server side calls to GA to track things, we'd still have an issue with...

2) GA relies on at least 4 separate cookies to pass data to Google. While the GA + FoxyCart integration does actually put that data into the FoxyCart session, I'm not sure how "right" it is to reuse that in perpetuity.

I'm also not sure whether I (personally) would want this behavior, as it'd make it more difficult to cleanly see new MRR (monthly recurring revenue) as opposed to existing MRR analytics. If I had a huge February where Site X sent a ton of traffic, then a March when Site Y sent a little, the data wouldn't make it easy to see that. I'm not sure I'm "right" in that take, but that's my thought at the moment.

Thoughts on that? Are you interested only in logging the transactions so the dollar values are correct? Or in maintaining a sort of historical record of where that money came from? If the former, that's probably more a problem for an accounting program. If the latter... that's interesting, and I'm not sure about that. Probably a CRM with accounting or some custom logging. (We don't do that, actually, but now that I'm thinking about it we should. I'm not sure what the best approach would be though.)
  • Well I was hoping there would be a way to create an advanced segment to allow me to see new MRR vs existing.

I was actually to see both, maybe Google Analytics just isn't the right place for some of this, but it would be nice to see stuff like "If a customer comes from this ad, they usually stay a subscriber for 6 months, as opposed to only 3 months from another source."

You're probably right that what I may want as well is some sort of accounting program, is there anyway to integrate Foxycart with one of these?

My site is pretty simple so I don't want a big, complicated piece of software. I just need something that can track my recurring subscriptions so I can easily see data like "average lifetime of a subscription", "avg customer value" and things like that.

Is there anything simple like this that you are aware of other than trying to build something in Excel and populating it manually (would get complicated as my customer list grows)?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    For what it's worth, there's a pretty solid quickbooks integration that might help...
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Also fwiw, I personally loathe Quickbooks. It's a really good question, and I don't have a good answer. If you're handy with programming you could whip up a little app for your own needs, but that may not be an option.

We're looking into possibly related solutions for our own needs, so I'll keep this in mind and if we stumble on anything I'll let you know. Don't hold your breath though, as we haven't even nailed down the requirements yet. If you come up with anything I'd love to know as well.
  • I'd also love to have our recurring sales data in Google Analytics. And yes, Google Analytics is certainly designed to have external/offline data imported in and merged with your existing analytics.

See here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/integration-upload

And here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/

Also curious, do any of your affiliate integrations (e.g., iDevAffiliate) track recurring orders?

Thanks.
  • fc_romanfc_roman Member, FoxyCart Team
    edited October 2016
    @Epotratz,

You might want to look into having your endpoint for both subscription XML datafeed and transaction XML datafeed submit the data to Google Analytics over measurement protocol. The endpoint is specified in STORE » advanced.

Does this answer your Analytics question?

The same approach could work for tracking recurring sales, as you can get your endpoint to send the relevant data to an affiliate system.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.
  • Hey Roman,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying your existing affiliate integrations attribute recurring orders to their respective affiliate?

FYI, I'm not a developer so if something needs custom work I'd need to outsource it.
  • fc_romanfc_roman Member, FoxyCart Team
    Hey @Epotratz,

Our affiliate integrations won't track recurring orders out of the box. You will certainly need a developer's help to write the logic that will extract relevant data points from the datafeed and submit to your affiliate system, as well as to Google Analytics.
  • Hey @fc_roman

Is there an affiliate application that supports this type of customization? (e.g., iDevAffiliate, Omnistar, etc?) I'm guessing this is an API that will need to be created?

Thanks.