Editing template on a live site - best practice?

Scott RestonScott Reston Member
in Help edited June 2008
My first Foxycart site went live recently. I went live using the standard black and red checkout page.

Thanks to that great new screencast on customizing checkout, I'd like to work on wrapping that checkout page in my site's template.

What's the best non-disruptive way to do this?

If I cache the contents of my template from my server, will I disrupt the live site? Or only when I click on the 'update template' (using 'preview' till I've got it right)?

Or... would I be better off creating a 2nd store under the account and experiment with that one, pasting over templates when I'm done tweaking?

Thanks!
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hey Scott.
    Good question. Unfortunately, the "preview" functionality doesn't work perfectly, so that wouldn't be idea.

You could definitely set up another store to test with. That'd work and it's free ;)

Did you find the screencast helpful? We'd love to know what you think.
  • Thanks... I'll just set up a 'developer account' for myself and work from that rather than messing with the customer's site...

I enjoyed the screencast. I already use the WebDev toolbar and Firebug... But I rarely use them to style content 'live' except to tweak a single element.

I appreciated that it was split into 2 parts so that I could skip the setup stuff. Good work.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, that's how I do almost all my CSS. I typically build entire stylesheets in the web dev toolbar like that. Only trick is to make sure you don't change tabs or you'll lose your edits. Save often :)