Custom Email Receipts (XML to Email script)

brettbrett FoxyCart Team
in General edited June 2008
In case anybody has need until our next version (with complete language customization) is released:

http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration:foxycart:custom_receipt

Some potential issues with umlauts and such, but it works if you need something in between now and 0.4.0.
Comments
  • I tried using the xml-to-email script and it emailed one orders email to EVERYBODY who placed an order. So far I've gotten 12 emails from customers who said "this isn't mine". Urghk!

Not good. Not blaming FC, just me. I didn't know this would be a possibility.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, ... So the issue is that when you turn on the XML, FoxyCart will "feed" all "unfed" transactions back to you. The idea is that if you wanted to import all customers into a mailing list or something, this would be helpful.

In this case, however, it's very unhelpful...

On the plus side, unless you modified the custom receipt script, people got their own information emailed back to them, so at least you didn't send random info to them (unless you're using the script to do some different stuff), but yeah, that kind of sucks.

We'll be placing We just placed a very big warning on the datafeed admin page to prevent this from happening in the future, but unfortunately there's not much that can be done at this point other than sending a followup email to your customers to let them know about the error. (And yes, I know that's not foxy at all.

I'm very sorry about that. We've updated our XML datafeed wiki page quite a bit over the past week for other reasons, but we've updated it to include this information as well.

What's a bit tricky for us is that almost none of the integrations on our wiki are "official", even when we post a notification on the forum or blog about them. We'll be updating the wiki to make this distinction a bit more clear, but regardless, this basic behavior of our XML datafeed processor wasn't clearly mentioned, and that behavior _is_ an official part of FoxyCart, so that's ultimately where the problem occurred. I'll follow up with you on email to discuss further.