Shipping by weight - Inclusive??

bookiebookie Member
in Help edited June 2008
My Question as sent to Brett:
I would like to set up a category within my store where products are sold by weight: Up to 50 products would be listed without individual prices. The customer would fill their cart and when a preset weight of all their purchases is reached, a price would be charged that would include the products and the shipping and handling charges. Can this be done using Foxycart? I have a basic knowledge of XHTML and CSS but no other programming knowledge. This is my first commercial website, please take this into account when responding.
Your Questions and my responses:
-Does every product have the same weight?
No, the catalog entries would include the weight for each product, and then the cart would somehow add them up as the customer selects them. The cart would need to show a running total of the weight.
- Is there a minimum weight, or a minimum number of products, that must be reached before you allow checkout?
The first weight unit would be 5 pounds.
- Is there a set cost per weight unit (lb, kg), that includes shipping and handling?
Yes, there will be a set cost per 5lbs which will include shipping and handling. Only tax would be extra.
Are you using a CMS to build the site or are you doing static pages?
No clue. I am using XHTML and CSS to build my website from scratch.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    For your first commercial project with no prior programming knowledge, you may be biting off more than you'd like to chew. You'll probably need a good familiarity with a CMS (Content Management System) like MODx as well as a good knowledge of JQuery, JSON and JavaScript in general. It's theoretically possible with some hacking, but it's not part of the standard service we provide.

Would it be possible to determine, up front, how many lbs of product the customer would like to buy? For example, if they say they want to buy 50lbs, then your price per product from that moment on would be set and it would just be a matter of adding those items to the cart dynamically using JavaScript to send the price while disabling the Checkout button by reading the JSON object and calculating if 50lbs had been reached yet.

That's just the first idea I had off the top of my head... most likely you're going to have to get a developer involved and invest some real money into making this work.

I hope that helps.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    -Does every product have the same weight?
    No, the catalog entries would include the weight for each product, and then the cart would somehow add them up as the customer selects them. The cart would need to show a running total of the weight.
    Ok, so each product has a specific weight, AND a specific price? Or are we strictly doing pricing by weight? Having a running total by weight would be doable without too much work, but I'm still not 100% certain what we're talking about. Maybe Luke and I are overthinking things, but can you describe a few examples of how you'd like to see it function from a price point of view?
    - Is there a minimum weight, or a minimum number of products, that must be reached before you allow checkout?
    The first weight unit would be 5 pounds.
    Forcing a minimum weight should be possible with a little javascript.
    - Is there a set cost per weight unit (lb, kg), that includes shipping and handling?
    Yes, there will be a set cost per 5lbs which will include shipping and handling. Only tax would be extra.
    Ok, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if there's a set price per unit of weight, why not just forget the weight entirely (or at least as far as pricing goes) and price the product proportionately with the weight?

So, suppose 1lb = $2. If a product is .5lb, then it's $1. If it's 4lbs, == $8. Then you can forget about weight and just do it based on dollar amount. If you have a 5lb minimum, just make minimum order total $10.

Basically what I'm asking is: If there's a set price per pound, why are we bothering with weight at all?
    Are you using a CMS to build the site or are you doing static pages?
    No clue. I am using XHTML and CSS to build my website from scratch.
    If you're going to have more than a dozen or two pages/products, a good CMS (like MODx) would be worth looking into. It'd definitely take time to learn a CMS but once you have a go-to CMS you'll be much better able to handle all the random stuff that people expect on websites nowadays.

I hope this helps. While I don't disagree with Luke that you may need backup, I think if we can simplify the question it might be easier than it seems.