Refunds

anaisanais Member
in Help edited June 2008
I just had to do a refund to a customer. I refunded his money via my gateway, but could not see any option in FC or backend to do this. If I don't get it into the cart, my data will be skewed by this amount. What is the proper way to handle refunds through FoxyCart?

I did check for a discussion thread on the subject, but was unsuccessful at finding an answer to this question.

Thanks....Anais
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    When you say your data will be skewed, what exactly do you mean? How are you using the data now to manage your business?

You can always hide a transaction in the transaction history view, if you like, which will prevent it from being exported or displayed unless you specifically ask for those entries to be included.

On a side note, we never intended for FoxyCart to be the solution for a back-end management system of someone's business. A lot of online shopping cart systems poorly attempt to be the "one-size-fits-all" management tool tracking accounting, customers, inventory and sales. Through the XML datafeed, we wanted to empower our customers to integrate FoxyCart with their existing systems and avoid the dreaded duplication of data that happens so often. Our thought was that most companies already use an existing accounting system, customer management system and inventory tracking system. We want to provide tools to integrate with those systems instead of trying to do a little bit of everything and thus do nothing well.

Does that help?
  • so does FC provide any functionality for refunds or no? I understand that the refund itself needs to take place at the payment processor (auth.net in our case), but it would be nice to only have to initiate the refund from one place instead of having to go to auth.net to refund the payment and then into our own system to track things. Additionally, it would be nice for the customer to be able to see the refund in their transaction history.

Thanks for any advice,
    Luke
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    FC doesn't currently provide any functionality along those lines, but if you'd like to see it please create an item and vote for it here:
    http://requests.foxycart.com/