What happens after an order is placed?

outerbenouterben Member
in Help edited June 2008
Where is the information about what happens after an order is placed? How do you go about charging a shoppers credit card? This is my first store - so I apologize for my newby-ness... Any information is appreciated, B
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    No problem and welcome to the crazy world of e-commerce. We'd actually appreciate it if you could waste about 3 years trying all the other carts out there, realizing how frustrating they are to use... and then come back to us so you can appreciate how awesome we are.

HEHehe... just kidding. We've got a long way to go, but from what we've heard from a lot of new e-commerce developers, we've done a fairly good job of making the process easy to figure out. We've been toying around with blogging about the basic concepts of e-commerce for a while, but have been too busy working on the latest version and preparing to migrate to a new server. So... here's the short answer:

You'll need to get a merchant account and a payment gateway. Some companies provide both together (such as Paypal Website Payments Pro and CDG which gives you a free Quantum Gateway account). With those setup, your customers are charged automatically via FoxyCart. We've done the work of integrating with those systems so that when a user adds something to their cart and completes the checkout process, their credit/debit card is charged, the money is deposited into your bank account and everyone is happy.

There's a LOT more that goes into it than just that... hopefully we'll blog about it soon to give you a better idea what's going on. It can be really confusing, even for people who've been doing it for years!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.