The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Free international shipping supported?

foxybafoxyba Member
in Help edited March 2011
I wanted to do a store promo and was wondering if there is anyway to simply turn off shipping charges for a month for all customers, domestic and international.

I saw a post a while back saying free international shipping wasn't supported yet: http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3881&page=1#Item_0

... not sure if that's still the case.

Thanks
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    Hey,

If you're wanting to turn off shipping costs for all customers, you can simply set all of your categories to be flat rate shipping with a default value of 0. Does that cover what you're after?
  • OK - yes, that's an idea.

What about if I wanted to offer 2 options: Priority Mail for free or Express Mail as a paid option?

Thanks.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    Then that would require a little extra work. Is the paid option from live rates or is it a flat fee that you're going to set?
  • In the free Priority / paid Express scenario, Express Mail would be live rates.

Thanks
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    edited March 2011
    @foxyba -

You can activate live rates for both Priority and Express, then do a JavaScript override of the Priority rate on the checkout screen and have is set to zero. How familiar are you with jQuery? Something like this might get you started:
    <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
    var myCustomShipping = function() {
    $('#shipping_service_37').val('37|0.00');
    $("label[for='shipping_service_37'] > span.fc_shipping_cost").html("<span class='fc_currency_symbol'>$</span>0.00");
    }

jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    	jQuery("#fc_shipping_methods_inner").ajaxComplete(function(event, request, settings) {
    		myCustomShipping();
    	});
    });
    </script>

Lance
  • @lance -

Thanks - I tried pasting the code you provided into the head of the checkout template (and re-caching of course) but it didn't have the desired effect. Is there something else I need to do?
    @foxyba -

Sorry for the delay! Somehow I overlooked your response. Do you still need to get this working or have you figured something out?

If you still need assistance, please let me know. If you could provide a link to your store, that would be great.

Lance
  • @lance - thanks, I ended up just using the foxycart admin to set flat-rate shipping to $0.00. I might investigate other shipping options in the future, but this simple approach is working now. If a customer needs expedited shipping, which they usually don't, then they can email me to request it.

The store's conversion rate has doubled - so it's been a successful experiment so far!

Thanks!
    @foxyba -

Glad you got something up and running that works for you! Also glad to hear that the conversion rate has improved.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Lance