UK Shipping Methods

andyflanandyflan Member
in Help edited June 2008
Hi,

I'm building a site with ModX and foxycart for a uk based company. They want to calculate shipping based on the location of the purchaser but it seems that all the shipping methods listed in the config will only work with country code US.

Have I got this right?

If not, how can I use these in the UK?

If so, can I build something myself to inter operate with foxycart or have you any plans to include something for the UK to compliment your UK Payment Gateway additions... DHL maybe?

Any ideas anyone?

I'm a bit flummoxed if I can't do this calculation with FoxyCart and may end up searching for another solution.

Thanks
AndyFlan
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    UPS should work from any location to any other location. We've had reports of mixed results as far as the pricing goes (it doesn't seem to be 100% exact all the time), but that's actually an issue with all the shipping carriers.

We certainly don't want to leave you flummoxed.

We're still in the process of finishing up a TON of work on a new version that will be released at some point, but please request what you're looking for, and please let us know on the forum as well. We have quite a few UK stores and shipping is certainly something we need to implement further. What would be the best for you? DHL? Royal Post (I think that's what it's called, right? We actually looked into integrating and they're kind of stuck in the 90s as far as APIs and integrations go, as far as we could tell.)

Please let us know, and please vote or add your request here:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/feature_requests
  • I've voted for Royal Mail as a lot of UK companies use them as a benchmark (or have no other choice). Kind of like how BT are benchmarked in the UK for telephone and broadband. Anyway Royal Mail definitely gets my vote for covering the UK.
  • Thanks very much for your reply(s).

I've tried UPS, I get this:

Error: This store has not been setup correctly to calculate shipping to this location. We apologize for the inconvenience. The store owner has been notified of this error.

... when I click on the shipping options link. Its transaction 60309.

It's a relief to hear that you see the need for better support for shipping for the UK and I'm unsurprised that the API's are a little antiquated. I agree with knightknight that if you are looking to integrate only one UK shipping method then it should be royal mail. I'm waiting to hear from my client which shipping company they prefer to use. Can you see yourselves ever providing a framework where store owners can input their own shipping zones and rates matrix? To be honest... I've always hated 'other' shopping carts attempts at implementing such things. This is a bit of a rush job for us in that I'm hoping to go live in less than a month. I suspect you wont be pinned down to a date on this (who would?) but do you think there's a chance that I could be going live with foxycart with live uk shipping pricing in that time frame?

Thanks again for your inputs.

AndyFlan
  • andyflanandyflan Member
    edited June 2008
    I've just found out that my client uses FedEx UK. I tested your existing implementation of FedEx and got the same error message as with UPS (above). I'm now starting to think I'm missing something else. What do you think?

AndyFlan
    I'd thought that UPS would work, but perhaps not. I know we tested Canada, and that works. I believe our FedEx implementation is US only.

As far as shipping tables and such, yeah, I always hated that stuff too, but sometimes it makes sense. Our goal was to make shipping as painless as possible. What we didn't realize is that shipping is the biggest pain in the rear _ever_. However, our "SuperShip" feature will provide advanced rules that should give you an incredible amount of flexibility. Please vote for it if you'd like:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/feature_requests

Let's figure out what the consensus is for the most preferred shipping option. Is it Royal Mail? If their API is impossible, is there a close second? A distant second? Just want to get a feel for what we're talking about.

That said... I really think UPS should work. I might be totally wrong, but we'll take a look.
  • Ok,

Cheers for your enthusiasm about implementing UK shipping methods. Here's the scenario for me.

[ulist]
    [li]Plan A. FedEx UK gets implemented as part of foxycart[/li]
    [li]Plan B. Royal Mail gets implemented as part of foxycart[/li]
    [li]Plan C. UPS UK does in fact work in UK (Did you manage to see what was going on there?)
    [li]Plan D. If one of the above is possible but it's a long time before you're able to implement it, then flat rate shipping is changed slightly so that there's a domestic rate and an international rate.[/li]
    [/ulist]

This is a key project for us and we really want to get it right. We are hoping that this will be the first of many foxycart shops that we roll out. We are willing to talk about a bounty for having the right shipping method implemented in our time frame.

Cheers

AndyFlan
  • treb0rtreb0r Member
    Hi Luke / Brett,

Could you let us know about this? Time is running out and we're going to have to find something else if UK shipping isn't going to be added to foxycart soon.

Drop me a line at treb0r@treb0r.net if you want to discuss a bounty.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey all. We've been working on this and feel we should have UPS up and running shortly. The system we were using was hard coded to send measurements in LBS and IN instead of KGS and CM. We'll have to make some changes to the admin to allow you to update that information, but with the correct measurements, the rate requests seem to go through correctly. That explains why it was working in Canada :)

We'll keep you posted.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Ok, UPS should now work for international shipping rate requests for version 0.3.2. We don't usually make changes to existing versions but since it sounds like you all really need to move this project forward, we made an exception. Hopefully it was the right choice.

To get UPS going internationally, for all your categories, change your default unit of weight and length measurements to "kgs." and "cm." respectively. Obviously, you'll also want to change your currency symbol if you haven't already done so.

Please let us know if that works for you.

We'll keep looking into the FedEx situation and find out what it will take to get that going.
  • Hi Guys,

Cheers for your efforts. We're feeling very good about using foxycart on this project, however, still getting this error using UPS:

Error: This store has not been setup correctly to calculate shipping to this location. We apologize for the inconvenience. The store owner has been notified of this error.

I have £, KG, CM.

What do you think?

I'm meeting my client on friday and would love to show them live shipping rates.

AndyFlan
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Andy, what are the specific from/to addresses you're using for the request? As in, what address do you have configured for your store and what address are you trying to ship to? We ran a test with an address in London and it worked great. Have you checked all of the available services for UPS?
  • Hey Luke,

Great to hear from you.

Just ticked all the available services and it worked. Sorry about that, I could have experimented a little more.

Really great to see it working, cheers guys :)))

AndyFlan
    Heads up to all our UK people: We have an issue where a returning customer will be unable to login if there's an & in their user information. We'll update when that's corrected, but for the time being... be aware of that and know that we're working on it.