eChecks and Wire Transfers

vossavantvossavant Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited April 2011
Hi guys,

I've already discovered that neither e-checks nor wire transfers are currently supported in FoxyCart, but I wonder if it's possible to hack it into existence with some jQuery magic.

It's highly possible I haven't thought this through, but would it be possible to add fields to the checkout for entering bank acct and routing information? I can even see sending people to different versions of the checkout screen based on which payment method they select beforehand (by passing in a hidden variable that determines which fields are displayed).

I have no idea if this is secure or not. Any custom field would be sent in the JSON object in plain text, would it not? Would it be possible to hash the account information before submitting it, and then unhash it on the receiving end?

The store in question would be selling high value, phyiscal items, so an e-check or wire transfer could be arranged after the store owner gets a receipt (rather than doing the processing live), and before delivering the product.

Does any of that sound legit, or am I fekkin crazy?
Comments
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    @vossavant -

There are definitely security issues with an approach like this. Even if you hashed things with JavaScript, the problem would be that you hash keys would be publically available in that JavaScript, so if a transmission was intercepted, all someone would need to know was where it came from and they could just grab the decryption key.

Security issues aside, it is theoretically possible to override the default FoxyCart functionality for payment processing and do something of your own; however, in this case, the problem would really be that there would be no way to complete the FoxyCart checkout process, since it relies on products either being paid for via the service or being free.

Does this help? Sorry not to bring better news. So, unless there is some new feature about which I don't already know, the specifics of what you asking for don't seem readily achievable.

Lance
  • @lance,

Thank you for the response. I wasn't sure about the hashing; I'm not much of a security wiz. I'm interested to see if Luke or Brett have any thoughts on this, because what you say makes sense and (unfortunately) jives with my thoughts.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    It sounds like you want to go with the Purchase Order route. That way nothing secure or private is involved in the initial transaction but the customer can be followed up with directly via the phone to setup the transfer. Is that an option?
  • vossavantvossavant Member
    edited April 2011
    Hey there Luke,

Hadn't thought of a P/O. Just read up on it; this option sounds very flexible. So the process might go something like:

1. Customer chooses to pay with e-Check
    2. Customer enters contact info
    3. Customer submits order
    4. Vendor calls up customer and gets bank info + routing number, then processes payment via a merchant processor that can handle e-Checks

Not sure what fields I'd have the customer fill out otherwise. Is a P/O then just a way to process an order with FoxyCart without requiring up front payment?

(I suppose that is a partial definition of a P/O, so never mind ;)

Edit: The buyer/seller could do a P/O transaction outside of the cart, so I suppose the reason to run it through FC would be to (a) capture customer info and (b) store the order in a backend system somewhere, if desired. Please correct me if you see it another way.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Sounds like you got it. This may also be helpful depending on how you want to do the PO's:

http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/0.6.0/faqs#can_i_hide_the_purchase_order_field_i_want_to_invoice_them_later_and_don_t_need_a_po