Checking for dup subscription in checkout

a9ka9k Member
in Help edited April 2011
I want to add some checks at /checkout.php.

I can't do this in the /cart. I'm using PayPal so need to wait until /checkout. Maybe later in checkout after they have signed into foxycart also so I have their real email address.

I want to check back via our db or api if the person checking out already has a subscription then do some extra checks and warn about creating duplicate subscriptions.

We have problems with folks renewing multiple times manually when they are about to be automatically renewed. They get the renewal notice and they can cancel now, but instead the go and sign up again. It clearly says it's going to automatically renew but people don't read.

I'm not sure where to jump into the flow. document.ready might be too early.

Any suggestions? (I do AJAX just don't know what object/event to hook on).
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hello a9k. SSO sounds like the way to go. Have you looked into that?
  • a9ka9k Member
    I've read through SSO twice on two days - I don't think it's what I need unless you're suggesting getting in the midst of sso to intercept the checkout page.

For now I'm going to use document.ready for a hook. Probably do some monkey biz is CSS to keep them from editing their email (which is key to finding their subscriptions) since it just came from PayPal and editing it just forks the customer data. We have people create multiple foxycart accounts all the time, so using their customer id doesn't work.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Yes, I was suggesting you intercept the checkout page. I guess I assumed your customers would already be logged in by the time they add something to the cart, but that may not be the case. Hopefully your solution will work out. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
  • a9ka9k Member
    They don't sign in because they don't have a password until they purchase a subscription (to digital info). We then email them one.

We have customers that despised us having the password they used in foxycart ("You'll be able to buy things with my card" pananoia) so we use separate passwords.

We don't have any info on them until they get through paypal and back to /checkout. So that's where I'll have to intercept. I'll let you know how it goes when done. Currently Im busy trying to deploy a new version of our cart in Rails 3. I hope I don't have an long adventure like you just did updating your servers! I hope your recovering.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Let us know how your Rails 3 adventure goes.

As far as our issues, unfortunately it was our datacenter, and nothing we were even physically able to fix. (Not to shift blame, as it was ultimately our decision to choose this host. Check our blog for more info. Oh, actually, you already commented there. Check my latest comment and the link to our hosting partner's explanation if you're curious. Either way, it was really, really lame, and we're terribly sorry.)